944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil change - change in oil pressure

Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Neither did I, but after a ton of research, I changed my mind. You would be surprised how many other brands are made by Fram and just have a new paint job, such as K&N. You can't believe old wife's tales about everything. As I stated previously, you can chose any brand you want, but you won't find a better filter than the FU for $10 a pop. It has the best combination of features, filtration is great, flow rate is great for a filter with this much filtration, metal encapsulated 100% synthetic media, silicone ADBV, high burst strength, and quality base seal. Trust me I spent a lot of time on this and I am ****.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Neither did I, but after a ton of research, I changed my mind. You would be surprised how many other brands are made by Fram and just have a new paint job, such as K&N. You can't believe old wife's tales about everything. As I stated previously, you can chose any brand you want, but you won't find a better filter than the FU for $10 a pop. It has the best combination of features, filtration is great, flow rate is great for a filter with this much filtration, metal encapsulated 100% synthetic media, silicone ADBV, high burst strength, and quality base seal. Trust me I spent a lot of time on this and I am ****.

I'll have to take a look into it, sounds like I can learn a thing or two
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

If you can filter through all of the BS, you can learn a ton from Bob is the oil guy forums. After that I started calling and emailing companies to speak with the engineering groups. You would be surprised how secretive they are and don't want to part with vital information such as flow rates and filtration specifications.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Another limiting factor on our cars is maximum canister OD, which is 3.0". This somewhat limits which filters can be selected. I selected the two highest capacity 3" diameter filters sold on the market, not including low production custom billet pieces. Either of the two far exceed the performance of the 25 year old Mahle design, not that there is anything wrong with it, just like to improve anywhere I can. I do like the fact of no bypass valve in the filter though. This is NOT for everyone. You need to know how to operate your vehicle with such a filter installed. Don't jump in the car on a 30 degree day up north with 20-50W still installed crank the car up and go. If you do most likely it will blow the base seal right out. A car should be properly warmed up before driving with this style filter even on warm days. Of course, you could install a different model with a bypass valve if you wish.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

On an interesting note though, the "stock" crappy Fram replacement for the factory Mahle filter came without a bypass valve. They still sell it today and I am sure many not so picky owners have used this filter and I have never read anything about a failure. This is the bargain basement $2.99 Fram orange crush can. Just an interesting fact. This filter also fit many other Porsches and I am sure they sold a ton.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

928 filter looks like a nice upgrade from stock.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Voith
928 filter looks like a nice upgrade from stock.
Statements like this and all Fram filters suck is what led me to actually educate myself on oil filters. While I agree with your statement the only thing you are really gaining is slightly more oil capacity. There might also be slightly more filtered surface area, but Mahle doesn't provide this information. If so, it is minimal at best. All other components remain the same. I like the added capacity, but as far as filtration goes it really buys you nothing and maintains the bypass valve which will not filter oil on cold start ups. Our engines also implement a built in OPRV as a safety net.

Last edited by URG8RB8; 11-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Statements like this and all Fram filters suck is what led me to actually educate myself on oil filters. While I agree with your statement the only thing you are really gaining is slightly more oil capacity. There might also be slightly more filtered surface area, but Mahle doesn't provide this information. If so, it is minimal at best. All other components remain the same. I like the added capacity, but as far as filtration goes it really buys you nothing and maintains the bypass valve which will not filter oil on cold start ups. Our engines also implement a built in OPRV as a safety net.
I was reading your research on the topic, but I think the fram you are using is just not the magic wand you want it to be.

Standard mahle filter on our cars is proven to work well, adding some 30 percent more filtering surface with 928 filter, would seem to me like a good idea.

The longer filter looks like this and has a lot more filtering paper in it, since entire lenght of the can is filled with it.

And general consensus from people that like to open up filter cans is that fram filters are somewhat poorly designed: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html

The basic Fram is still crap. Fewest pleats and therefore least amount of filter area. Cardboard end-caps.
My opinion is that MANN and Mahle is the best option for our cars.

Last edited by Voith; 11-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

As I previously stated, I did not like Fram either previously, but I am not recommending a regular Fram, I am recommending a Fram Ultra, big difference and not tested in the link provided. The closest one is the XG, and as your link stated, "I can't believe I am going to say this, but this is a decent filter!" Please note also that the racing filter I recommended is new for 2013 and there is much old stock left on the shelves. I only recommend the new model as of May this year. They are labeled the same so don't get fooled. The internals are totally different. I am in no way bashing either the Mahle or the Mann, both are good stock filters, and will/have worked fine for many years. However, for highly modified engines wanting to achieve better filtration and flow rates, this provides an option. Keep in mind I have over $20K in my engine including controls. This type of stuff is not for everyone. If I had a stock engine, by all means I would chose the OC-75 versus the OC-142. By the way, I am quite sure it is not 30%. The OC-75 is 138mm versus 119.5mm for the OC-142. Which is 13.5% if it actually takes up all available space.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also in a very long process of building slightly modified engine. https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...-44-page2.html

Do you have any more info for this new FU?

I didnt realise it is only 13%, from memory I thought it was something like ~1/3 taller..
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Best bet is to go to Bob is the oil guy forum and search for Fram Ultra or best new synthetic filter. The Royal Purple is also nice and Napa Platinum. That way you can get lots of opinions. Including many former Fram badgers that now agree this is a good product at a reasonable price. By the way, I might not have posted the exact model that fits which is the XG3682 for the Ultra and HP10 for the new racing series. The HP10 has huge flow rate, Huge at the expense of filtration though. The FU is 98% first pass efficient at 10 micron, hard to beat that and still out flows the Mahle by 2 times with the ability to go 15,000 miles not that I would ever do that.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those adapters you have made, are those available anywhere?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here is a picture of my simple little adaptor.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

There is quite a long thread about this on BITOG forum about this which you may or may not be interested in reading. I am going under the car now to finalize my fuel pump project so don't have the time to find the link, but will try later.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you find it, please post it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil change - change in oil pressure