Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Considering a wastegate & electronic boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I am also going to go with a Turbosmart TS-0301-1003 e-Boost2 Black/Black 60 mm Sport Compact Boost Management System. I am currently using a MBC with a Lindsey DPWG. see - http://www.turbosmartusa.com/product/e-boost-2. If I do change the WG, I would use a Tial 38mm or PrecisionTurbo 39mm. Mike
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there any benefit to getting the 46mm, I ask this because I can buy everything brand new with all the adapters, gaskets etc.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the tial 38mm on my car and wasn't a fan. After talking with tial representatives on the phone I bet you would be surprised to know that tial allows a factory leak in their wastegates. Because the main pressure side is on the bottom half of the diaphragm it slightly leaks from the pressured chamber into the exhaust guide and into your exhaust. Tial purposely does this in their design to allow for expansion of the metal stem valve (as metal expands under heat.) Stock 944 wastegates as well as the LR wastegates push the main pressure to the top half of the wastegate where the pressure is sealed and trapped between the diaphragm and the top cap of the wastegate. I personally don’t like the idea of relying on expansion to seal my sealed boost system where leaks make a world of difference. I now have the LR duel port and couldn’t be happier. It stay shut longer under the higher seat pressure and doesn’t leak like my tial did, and all tials do, to a certain degree. Another consideration of mine was the direction the valve moves in relation to the exhaust flow. The stock and LR wastegates open in the same direction of the exhaust flow making the valve have less force against it when opening where tial's valve lifts up against the pressure of the exhaust causing more tension to be put on the valve stem under high heat and high exhaust flow circumstances. I have used the Stock, LR, and Tial wastegates for these cars and in my opinion the LR duel port or LR clubgate are the best design and most reliable wastegate in the market for the 944 turbo as they were directly designed to be. Tial is a good brand name but its design conflicts with the natural design on the 944 turbo making it a bad option. Im sure there are tial owners that would state differently, but after my tial wastgate broke by 2nd turbocharger, I said enough was enough and did my research more then just whats a popular choice. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

From what I understand the 46 is not necessary until you are pushing big power, so in my case it is an overkill. I went this route for two reasons.
1. Direct fit on the cross over side
2. I got my wastegate for such a killer deal I couldn't pass on it.

Quick Reply: Considering a wastegate & electronic boost controller