Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CA Legal Smog Legal Baby!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:14 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom:

Very few if anybody could get numbers better than you!

I should have stated, with all of my mods especially the exhaust, I don't think any plug in "chip" MAF system would pass out of the box. You must be able to tune the fuel delivery and timing at certain rpm ranges. At least that is what I observed. On my first pass with a modified tune designed to pass the test, I was not even remotely close. My NOx value was over 1500. After that I thought I was going to be borrowing your cat. However, with your pointers the light came on and I understood what I needed to adjust and how to do it. There was a point I had all three numbers under 150, but he did not give me enough time to finish typing and upload. I could see he was getting upset with me. He obviously did not really like that I was able to make it pass without buying components from them. With just a few key strokes, watching those numbers drop like a rock was all empowering! This is all a money scam, by the state government and the shops. I saved the tune for the next time two years from now. From what I observed, the cat is not nearly important as the settings in your tune. I think with enough practice and time, it might be possible to pass without a cat installed. Of course, running E-85. The fact that the '89's have to pass 30% more strict standards is totally Ludacris.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Mr.C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious if you tried to disguise the M tune or if in your smog zone you're permited to change non stock emission parts? I'm here in the central valley where I will have to run on a rolling smog machine. To make matters worse it's at a test only station. I'm thinking about getting the M tune just to pass smog...that is if I can fool the tech on the visual. I may hit you up with specific tunes here soon to sneek past the *****.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations Eric! Those who have never been through these tests have no idea the triumph you feel when you're finally good to go for another two years. Can you share if you were running the maf stealth with the stock airbox? My ultimate CA solution would be able to run the maf sensor in stealth mode with the stock airbox (pass visual) and then be able to easily switch switch back to cone air filter setup. An easy way of switching tunes would be nice too...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Congratulations Eric! Those who have never been through these tests have no idea the triumph you feel when you're finally good to go for another two years. Can you share if you were running the maf stealth with the stock airbox? My ultimate CA solution would be able to run the maf sensor in stealth mode with the stock airbox (pass visual) and then be able to easily switch switch back to cone air filter setup. An easy way of switching tunes would be nice too...
I will send you a PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Tom_DB1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Sac some of the levels are even more restrictive. These are the 2012 levels for an 87.

15 MPH:
HC 81 Max
CO .52 MAX
NO 689 Max

25 MPH:
HC 63 Max
CO .43 MAX
NO 730 Max
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Do we know for sure that the cone filter alone will cause a CA car to fail the visual?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:08 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Without CARB sticker, Yes
Old 11-05-2013, 01:39 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You have a pm.

Quick Reply: CA Legal Smog Legal Baby!!!