Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tires - power is knowledge!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Agree. What about wear issue. I think 2.2 bar would wear the edges very quickly?"

Not if you have proper rim-widths and alignment. You want to measure tire temperatures across the tread. Set pressure such that the center temp. is the same as the average of the inside and outside edges. If the outside edges is a lot hotter than the inside edge, you want more negative camber.

BTW - there were several versions of the SO2 tire out there. The OEM type that came on the NSX was a stickier treadwear-150 model that was stickier than the replacement aftermarket tire (180-treadwear). The owners were always complaining about how their tires were wearing out in less than 10k-miles, but I think that has more to do with the throttle foot...

Last edited by Danno; 07-21-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been struggling determining what the optimal wheel tire size combo is. Assuming a 275 tire is about the largest that will fit in the rear, and a 17X10” wheel is the standard for that size, then what is optimal for racing that will reduce side wall flex and rollover. Is it a 10.5, 11.0, 11.5….., and at what point is too wide. I assume there is a point where the benefit diminishes and the positive is reduced by the extra weight.

Quick Reply: Tires - power is knowledge!