Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear Speakers 1989 10 Speaker System Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not found any pics of the rear speakers mounted before, so here is one of mine. By the way, as you can see I did not have to remove the quarter glass. The panel came out fairly easily actually. What does suck is the size of the "speaker grille" in comparison to the size of the speaker, what a joke! The opening is about 1/4 the size of the speaker, so maybe 60-75% blocked!

Name:  image-1554438438.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  486.9 KB

Last edited by URG8RB8; 10-20-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:52 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here are some dimensions, in case you are wanting to swap out your 24+ year old factory speakers.
Diagonal bolt pattern is 175 mm (6.89") on center four screws make an X, this is from corner to corner
Mounting depth, original speaker is 2.71" deep, hole at center is plenty deep at 3.78, but tapers off quick at the top, so giant magnets might not fit. Factory magnet is 74 mm in diameter. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here are a couple more pics of the back side of the speaker.

Name:  image-85526269.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  508.3 KB
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here is one with speaker removed.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Alpineace
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any good sounding yet lighter options?
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I have not found any pics of the rear speakers mounted before, so here is one of mine. By the way, as you can see I did not have to remove the quarter glass.
Attachment 771531
Yeah, but to put that panel back on you need to get the material over the top of the little ridge that the gasket rides on, or at least mine did. Getting the rear quarter glass in and out is a pretty minor affair. To remove pull a corner of the gasket up from the inside of the car and push the glass out from that corner. To reinstall you can use a piece of string, Van has a video on his YouTube channel that shows how this works.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I don't know about lighter, but just about anything new will sound better. I am going for some high end stuff, so unfortunately for me, that means totally redesigning the panel as I can't handle 60-75% of the speaker blocked off. I am waiting for another good Amazon sale on the Rockford Fosgate T5652-S components. I missed the sale in July where they dropped to $450 a set. These retail for $1,600.00 a set, so $450 is a steal. I heard these at CES a few years back and they blew me away. Of course, you need proper everything to go along with. They are not your run of the mill RF speakers. Comparable Morels or Focals would be near $2K per set.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scott H
Yeah, but to put that panel back on you need to get the material over the top of the little ridge that the gasket rides on, or at least mine did. Getting the rear quarter glass in and out is a pretty minor affair. To remove pull a corner of the gasket up from the inside of the car and push the glass out from that corner. To reinstall you can use a piece of string, Van has a video on his YouTube channel that shows how this works.
Mine was not "over the top" from the factory, so I don't plan on putting it back over the top. I will check out Van's video though. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about lighter, but just about anything new will sound better. I am going for some high end stuff, so unfortunately for me, that means totally redesigning the panel as I can't handle 60-75% of the speaker blocked off. I am waiting for another good Amazon sale on the Rockford Fosgate T5652-S components. I missed the sale in July where they dropped to $450 a set. These retail for $1,600.00 a set, so $450 is a steal. I heard these at CES a few years back and they blew me away. Of course, you need proper everything to go along with. They are not your run of the mill RF speakers. Comparable Morels or Focals would be near $2K per set.
The speaker may be covered 50-60%, but that is a midrange/woofer speaker. You feel bass in reality not really hear it. Sounds weird, but think about it and it will make sense. I would get a really good set of speakers up front and delete the rear speaker altogether. I did this in my 86 951 and it worked out great. I had Alpine's up front and an 8" JBL subwoofer in the rear cubby hole. it sounded awesome. I was blown away by how much better it sounded. My old 924s I had a false floor with a single 10" Rockford Sub and 4 JBL 4x6's. It sounded way better than that.

A good car audio shop told me to focus on making a good sound stage up in the front of the car(unless it was a sedan that will be carrying passengers in the rear). Just a thought.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I am an old guy, 45 now. Back in the day, I used to help manage a top line car audio shop and my car placed 3'rd at the IASCA Nationals in Arizona in the late 80's. I know a thing or two about car audio installs. Anyone considering putting high end components behind that tiny little off center grille is well, let's just say it is not wise. I am probably going to spend more on this stereo than some people have in their whole car, but when I am done it will look and sound great.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an old guy, 45 now. Back in the day, I used to help manage a top line car audio shop and my car placed 3'rd at the IASCA Nationals in Arizona in the late 80's. I know a thing or two about car audio installs. Anyone considering putting high end components behind that tiny little off center grille is well, let's just say it is not wise. I am probably going to spend more on this stereo than some people have in their whole car, but when I am done it will look and sound great.
Not trying to insult you, just giving you my .02. The advice was given to me by JML Audio shop out of St. Louis, MO.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Oh none taken, just trying to convey the type of system I am trying to create here. My apologies if that came across as rash. Now, I do somewhat agree with ditching the rears all together and going with a really top of the line 3-way component system up front. The rear location isn't quite back far enough for rear fill. I need to get in there with the spectrum analyser (could have sworn that should be a Z) to see what produces the best effect. Might have to build some custom pods in the far rear corners that are directional. I plan on using a RF 3.sixty.3 to get everything tuned properly along with the Alpine Imprint system.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your an "old guy" at 45?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Your an "old guy" at 45?
Normally only the younger crowd pays any attention to car audio updates.

Everybody has their "thing", a good stereo is much more appealing to me than a Moton Suspension or similar upgrade. I am not a track guy. I would like to try that someday, but I would have a dedicated car for that.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

After some research trying to bring my old school mind up into the 21'st Century I located a car audio shop that is rated in the top ten in the country 1.4 miles from my house! Who would have known? If you want to see some incredible builds check out the SIS (Simplicity in Sound) web page. He details pic by pic every single aspect of every build which is truly unique. This guy is a true craftsman and very ****, which I like. Of course, that also means he is very expensive and the shop is fully booked until April 2014! You must put down a big deposit just to get a reservation! I have never ever heard of this at a car audio shop. I have not yet found a way way to post a link from the IPhone.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers 1989 10 Speaker System Pics