Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front mount intercooler install + 3" piping with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i did my build i was aiming for 360 rwhp. I'm roughly on 375 - 410 rwhp via data logs. Probably very close to 400rwhp.

I wouldn't want to push more then 400 on stock rods. especially if you're going to track it or something.

If you don't want to change the rods, I'd aim for something else, like quick spool and flat torque curve.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 AM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

even if I really do NOT like this bling-bling-style. I would never do a conversation on such a poor level of quality...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

While I applaud the level of effort the non-mandrel bent pipe going to the throttle body is one place where saving $10 does not make sense! Go buy some mandrel bent pipe and fix that!!

Stock rods will deal with just about any torque level you can come up with as long as the tune is good. If you get detonation then all bets are off. The only problem I have with stock rods is the weight (they are damn heavy - must be made by the Panzer division of Porsche!) and the age. With 25 year old rods who knows what has been done to stress them out previously.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

BTW - is it me or does the bottom of the intercooler look a little 'wavy'.
With no batwing you are going to lose cooling capacity....and watch out for curbs, raccoons or anything else. The welded on mounting points will make a great place to snag something and rip the intercooler apart.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st time I see someone use a DV and a blow off valve. You used exhaust pipes going into your tb nice. You must drive with no hood since the icv is over the strut bar. Any vac leaks?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Chris thats the raccoon catcher
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

i'd hit it
Old 10-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
While I applaud the level of effort the non-mandrel bent pipe going to the throttle body is one place where saving $10 does not make sense! Go buy some mandrel bent pipe and fix that!!

Stock rods will deal with just about any torque level you can come up with as long as the tune is good. If you get detonation then all bets are off. The only problem I have with stock rods is the weight (they are damn heavy - must be made by the Panzer division of Porsche!) and the age. With 25 year old rods who knows what has been done to stress them out previously.
Yeah, I wish I didn't have to do it that way but the intention was not to save 10 dollars, it was to get home that night after we realized we didnt have enough mandrel bent aluminum pipe to complete the tubing fab. I ran to the store and grabbed some exhaust piping because it would fit and the car would run with it. It definitely wasn't a cheap out thing. It's getting fixed this weekend with proper aluminum. Glad to hear the stock rods are that tough Chris, though I doubt I will push it much past 400-425 without building the motor. The bottom of the intercooler IS slightly bent, good eye. It was my fault for not realizing how much pressure I was putting on it when fitting it in from the bottom. When I realized I had warped it a bit I put a piece of wood under it. Not a big deal I dont think. I also definitely meant to grind off those bottom mounting points but again, this install took longer than anticipated and as 2 am rolled around, it became extremely rushed. I'll have to post more pics once its all cleaned up since everyone apparently thinks I did such a terrible job with this.

Reno, my hood closes fine, it clears the ISV by a mile. Its been like that for well over a year. No vac leaks, I pull 19" at idle, and the DV is not hooked up. It is simply being used as an airtight seal in the J boot.

944er, I appreciate the input bud. I guess that's entirely up to opinion. You're welcome to a ride, it might change yours. Like I said, it was never meant to look pretty. I'm curious though, what about it do you find to be so poor? most of this setup is temporary.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 10-17-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Doug,

I too applaud your ingenuity but you are going to have significant pressure drops through that piping. You can estimate it with some math (see below) but I am having trouble understanding the benefit. This kind of setup is going to make your turbo work harder therefore generate more heat! As the stock IC does a pretty good job, this mod may not be a positive step forward. The pressure drop through the stock IC is not huge and the only reason I could see the larger IC being needed would be heat soak concerns. Do those concerns justify the additional pressure drop? Maybe I am missing something about your goals however. Just some thoughts to consider

https://rennlist.com/forums/10562678-post736.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/10585208-post801.html

PS. Definitely need to get rid of the stock turbo outlet hose as its pressure drop is significant as it necks down to a 1.6" inside diameter.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM
travisgreen
Pro

what store that's open at 2am sell exhaust piping? I wish I had places open that late around here
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by refresh951
Doug,

I too applaud your ingenuity but you are going to have significant pressure drops through that piping. You can estimate it with some math (see below) but I am having trouble understanding the benefit. This kind of setup is going to make your turbo work harder therefore generate more heat! As the stock IC does a pretty good job, this mod may not be a positive step forward. The pressure drop through the stock IC is not huge and the only reason I could see the larger IC being needed would be heat soak concerns. Do those concerns justify the additional pressure drop? Maybe I am missing something about your goals however. Just some thoughts to consider

https://rennlist.com/forums/10562678-post736.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/10585208-post801.html

PS. Definitely need to get rid of the stock turbo outlet hose as its pressure drop is significant as it necks down to a 1.6" inside diameter.
Shawn, as surprising as it is, my math is matching what my butt dyno and my boost gauge are telling me, which is that despite the longer piping and the bends in it, there is still less pressure drop here than stock. I calculated .53 psi drop in all the cold side piping, plus the figure you quoted of 1.77 psi for the stock compressor outlet boot. I calculated this at 420 CFM, 130 F, 1 BAR on the hot side and 90 F on the cold side. The cold side piping I calculated at just .40 psi drop, assuming of course I replaced that section of exhaust with mandrel bent tubing. Most of the bends are shallow angles and the radii are not extremely small. Average velocity through the pipes was ~230 ft/s and peaked at 352 ft/sec at the small necked down section just after the compressor outlet. The average velocity on the cold side was ~205 ft/s. I did not take into account pressure drop through the intercooler its self because I do not know a way to calculate that. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is more than a 2 psi improvement over stock.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow! What a hack job. The disconnected bosch diverter valve with the HKS SSQ style BOV while still running an AFM. The crushed air filter. The ISV sitting above the intake manifold with the squashed hose held together by electrical tape. The fuel rail with dampener line disconnected and cable tied out of the way. The hose clamps holding the fuel lines. The squashed rubber connector on the throttle body. The crazy intercooler piping with a mish mash of T-bolt and worm drive clamps. The crazy wavy intercooler. The press bent exhaust pipe for the IC to TB connection.

Yet somehow this appeals to me as a modern marvel of home mechanics and determined ingenuity. Kind of mad max like. I can't wait to see what happens with the HX35 in place. Mad power or crazy explosions in the engine bay? Good work. I applaud you for your efforts!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by s14kev
Wow! What a hack job. The disconnected bosch diverter valve with the HKS SSQ style BOV while still running an AFM. The crushed air filter. The ISV sitting above the intake manifold with the squashed hose held together by electrical tape. The fuel rail with dampener line disconnected and cable tied out of the way. The hose clamps holding the fuel lines. The squashed rubber connector on the throttle body. The crazy intercooler piping with a mish mash of T-bolt and worm drive clamps. The crazy wavy intercooler. The press bent exhaust pipe for the IC to TB connection.

Yet somehow this appeals to me as a modern marvel of home mechanics and determined ingenuity. Kind of mad max like. I can't wait to see what happens with the HX35 in place. Mad power or crazy explosions in the engine bay? Good work. I applaud you for your efforts!
You crack me up kev, I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if I blow it up.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep us posted with your progress. Although I could never imagine having an engine bay looking like yours, threads like these are far more entertaining (and informative) than most of what is posted on rennlist. Make sure you take pictures of any explosions!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.

Quick Reply: Front mount intercooler install + 3" piping with pics