Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:08 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
I talked with Tom quite a bit, offering some help for him when he first started his project, but this is a completely separate project/product with zero association to Tom.
I just thought that you guys joined the same venture. I know you have the capability, and Tom also seems to be a bright guy. When you guys started talking about it I had some thoughts too, but more for the knowledge that I would acquire from you guys.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minho78
Since no one asked yet. Price? I understand if you don't want to talk about it.
Fair question...
I'm sure this new DME is a big surprise - I've kept very quiet about it for a long time. As such, it has been very hard to get an idea of the market. Should I build 5 or 50 or 500? This greatly affects my cost/time/investment.

As soon as I have a bit more clear idea of the market, then I will post pricing (at least range-it).
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

So cool!!! Congrats on an awesome undertaking! Had the privilege of running a prototype in my car for a bit and it is a very impressive unit.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Joshua

Very impressive work, but I have to ask - Who are you marketing this at? Perhaps you could elaborate on some of the features that would make this attractive to purchasers? If it is just the same as stock, why wouldn't you just buy a used DME (unless this will be cheaper)?

Do you still need the knock computer as well?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Joshua

Very impressive work, but I have to ask - Who are you marketing this at? Perhaps you could elaborate on some of the features that would make this attractive to purchasers? If it is just the same as stock, why wouldn't you just buy a used DME (unless this will be cheaper)?

Do you still need the knock computer as well?
Eric, good question. Any of the 944 8-valve variants can use this computer. Your S2 has a much better built computer, that does not have even a fraction of the fail-rates of the 8-valve cars. Unfortunately, the 8-valve cars' DME is dying - with it being the literal brain for the car, what options are there? The only one currently is to replace it with another 25+ year old computer that is no better built.
With the new DME, it carries a limited lifetime warranty - it is built using the best PCB boards & components, designed to be very robust and reliable. This computer should outlive the 944 series.
Yes, the 951 still needs the KLR. It does assist in diagnosing a KLR issue; with the new DME, as you can flip an internal switch, which will bypass the KLR.
Additionally, the new DME does have a small expansion plug on the back. This is for anyone wiring in a WBO2, and/or MAP sensor - you will not have to cut the factory wiring harness.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Furthermore, if I wasn't clear, this DME will work in the 944 or 951, with only flipping a switch & swapping chips.

Moreover, this DME will properly run aftermarket ignition coils (with proper dwell) without any other mods. Similar is true with the injection driver being able to run low-Z injectors without resistors, or my high-Z units.

The much newer designed practices should also have other 2nd order effects, such as more consistent reading of the sensors due to better ground plane & power supply, board layout, ect.

Last edited by Rogue_Ant; 10-11-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Wow. Very impressive!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Furthermore, if I wasn't clear, this DME will work in the 944 or 951, with only flipping a switch & swapping chips.

Moreover, this DME will properly run aftermarket ignition coils (with proper dwell) without any other mods. Similar is true with the injection driver being able to run low-Z injectors without resistors, or my high-Z units.

The much newer designed practices should also have other 2nd order effects, such as more consistent reading of the sensors due to better ground plane & power supply, board layout, ect.

I don't see the switch that converts it into a full MAF kit for an S2 turbo.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by azbanks
I don't see the switch that converts it into a full MAF kit for an S2 turbo.
I'm working on the S/S2 stuff now... The factory S/S2 DME software is really counter-productive to performance. I see why chip offerings in the past have not been very impressive!
That said, I am working on changing the factory software to be more reasonable - and am getting very close to being done with the 944S MAF. The S2 will be next and shouldn't take much work after the S is done, since they share many similarities.

This new DME will not work in a 16v car. You people already have a robust computer

Last edited by Rogue_Ant; 10-11-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I need one of these!
Allot of cars have ECU problems and the owners dont know it.
I have changed 2 units as the first one did not work with the o2 sensor so i had to plot the idle and cruise with the piggyback..
The second DME made ground issues for other stuff and the car would not always start...
I dont know what i have now or if it work right all the time...
Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Adonay
I need one of these!
Allot of cars have ECU problems and the owners dont know it.
I have changed 2 units as the first one did not work with the o2 sensor so i had to plot the idle and cruise with the piggyback..
The second DME made ground issues for other stuff and the car would not always start...
I dont know what i have now or if it work right all the time...
Great points! I have repaired quite a few DMEs which had completely burnt/opened traces, bad solder joints, among other things. This is no longer a concern with the new DME. Nearly all of the components are surface-mount which completely eliminates cracked solder joints as a problem. Moreover the few components which are still through-hole are completely plated vias, which are significantly more robust connection than the laminate-style pcb of the original DME.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

If i understand correctly, this new DME can work with stock and any aftermarket chips/chipboards ? No need to run Rogue products ?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
If i understand correctly, this new DME can work with stock and any aftermarket chips/chipboards ? No need to run Rogue products ?
That is correct.
Though I would obviously like people to run my stuff, I did not intentionally remove any compatibility with the original DME. Any chip that will run in the stock DME will also run in my new ECU.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 AM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

If it works like an original DME, does it need to be modified to run a MAP sensor (cutting the resistor leg) ?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
If it works like an original DME, does it need to be modified to run a MAP sensor (cutting the resistor leg) ?
The computer is not a simple 're-draw' of the original. Many changes have been implemented, while keeping an eye on compatibility.

The resistor which would be cut in the original DME has already been removed on my new ECU (as it served no factory purpose). There is no hardware modifications needed to run the current MAP sensor addition setups.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning - New Product: A new DME!