Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pressure Testing Intake/Turbo/I/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013 | 03:34 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a very hard time getting all of the crap out of my polished intake. I wound up using Easy-off Blue can and it worked great. I should have taken a before pic, but I forgot. Trust me there was 1/8 - 3/16" worth of black soot everywhere. After an hour of sitting I washed it out with high pressure water and then baked it in the oven at 250 for an hour. I also smoothed out the entrance to the intake with a rotary flap wheel. I did not spend a lot of time making this smooth as there is no way to get most of it done. If Shawn's test of my Extrude Honed intake proves positive, I will get this one done too.
Attached Images    
Old 10-14-2013 | 03:39 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

OK, now for the bad news...

Other than personal satisfaction and some bling, this was a total waste of time! Just like I would have bet I had no vacuum leaks; after finding so many leaks especially the huge one at the turbo, I would have bet this was the cause of all my problems, but after my test drive tonight, I had to make myself a strong drink of JD. The car runs and drives exactly as it did prior to starting this fiasco. I can't tell you what a let down this was! Even my vacuum level which was good before at 16-17 in/hg is the same. Therefore, I can't recommend anybody wasting a ton of time chasing down these leaks.
Old 10-14-2013 | 11:50 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Kind of an interesting footnote that I discussed with Eddie on the phone;
While rinsing the inside of the intake with high pressure high flow water, I noticed an unexpected event. After filling with water all of the water came out of runner number 4. A little came out of 3, but not much. # 1 & 2 had zero flow unless I directly pushed in the hose pointed straight at the port. I figured there would be some flow out of 1 & 2. It did not even come up flush with the intake mounting flange, while all the time gushing out of #4, with probably 4-6" of head pressure above the flange like a fountain. I needed an assistant to take a video. It was quite interesting.
Note: I had a fire hose type of nozzle with a rubber surround which actually fit into the opening flush to seal it.
Old 10-14-2013 | 02:12 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
OK, now for the bad news...

Other than personal satisfaction and some bling, this was a total waste of time! Just like I would have bet I had no vacuum leaks; after finding so many leaks especially the huge one at the turbo, I would have bet this was the cause of all my problems, but after my test drive tonight, I had to make myself a strong drink of JD. The car runs and drives exactly as it did prior to starting this fiasco. I can't tell you what a let down this was! Even my vacuum level which was good before at 16-17 in/hg is the same. Therefore, I can't recommend anybody wasting a ton of time chasing down these leaks.
Man that sucks....
Sorry bud ..
Back to the drawing board !
Oh BTW that picture on the right looks like my last Colonoscopy
Old 10-14-2013 | 02:29 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

So nothing has changed -- even with the software bandaid?
Old 10-14-2013 | 03:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Yes, a big let down Eddie. Oh well, keep on chipping away at it. Sooner or later this thing will run properly. I really like the gray color vacuum line though. I have plenty if you want to try.

Tom: I have not received S/W patch yet.
Old 10-14-2013 | 03:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Yes, a big let down Eddie. Oh well, keep on chipping away at it. Sooner or later this thing will run properly. I really like the gray color vacuum line though. I have plenty if you want to try.

Tom: I have not received S/W patch yet.
I may take you up on that ( after I borrow your test plug and see if I have any leaks ?)
When do u think you may get that SW patch ?
Regards
Ed
Old 10-14-2013 | 05:08 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Soon, I will let you know. I can bring the tester, line and T's over. We threw a ton of this line/hose away, now I wish I kept more of it. It is really high quality stuff. The color is nice as well, not too flashy.
Old 10-14-2013 | 06:47 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Soon, I will let you know. I can bring the tester, line and T's over. We threw a ton of this line/hose away, now I wish I kept more of it. It is really high quality stuff. The color is nice as well, not too flashy.
Hey What's wrong with flashy
LOL
Thanks bud
Old 10-14-2013 | 07:30 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

No problem!
Old 10-14-2013 | 07:48 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of an interesting footnote that I discussed with Eddie on the phone;
While rinsing the inside of the intake with high pressure high flow water, I noticed an unexpected event. After filling with water all of the water came out of runner number 4. A little came out of 3, but not much. # 1 & 2 had zero flow unless I directly pushed in the hose pointed straight at the port. I figured there would be some flow out of 1 & 2. It did not even come up flush with the intake mounting flange, while all the time gushing out of #4, with probably 4-6" of head pressure above the flange like a fountain. I needed an assistant to take a video. It was quite interesting.
Note: I had a fire hose type of nozzle with a rubber surround which actually fit into the opening flush to seal it.
Not sure if you are trying to read anything into this, but if you are, don't. Know what the Brits call the plenum? A "surge tank." Appropriate. Think about it. They could call it a resivoir, as well. It just supplies of mass air at a pressure from which cylinders pull in an alternating way.

What is your car doing?
Old 10-15-2013 | 12:29 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Thanks Harry, I actually knew this, but the visualization of the water shooting out of only one runner was intriguing to say the least, made me sit back and say Hmmm..., I wonder if we are getting even cylinder filling with this design?

My problem is unfortunately unrelated and don't really want to go into it here. I am working on it with great support from Josh, Shawn, and Tom. We will knock it out soon! I am a bit of a perfectionist, which is not helping things.

I learned a lot about assuming this weekend and was humbled by this simple $10 pressure tester. Can't believe I waited this long to use one.
Old 10-17-2013 | 11:27 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Just in case anybody wanted to copy my pressure tester design, here is a picture. This design worked out very well.
Attached Images   

Last edited by URG8RB8; 10-17-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Reduced Picture Size
Old 10-17-2013 | 11:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Just in case anybody wanted to copy my pressure tester design, here is a picture. This design worked out very well.
Wow you put a regulator on it as well !
I would have thought you would just use the one on the compressor
but I think your design allows a lot more control
Nice !!!
Regards
Ed
Edit I see its just a gauge not a regulator ;-)
Old 10-18-2013 | 10:43 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Yes, just a shut off valve and gauge so you can do a leak back/down test. Good thing we have this stuff laying around at work, especially for you. If you wanted to buy all those SS Swagelok parts it would cost a pretty penny!

Quick Reply: Pressure Testing Intake/Turbo/I/C