Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installing my vacuum kit (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 AM
NM'87 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing my vacuum kit (pics)

EDiT: I had to get hose clamps of various sizes, 7mm/8mm ID vacuum hose and 1/4 or 3/16 ID fuel hose, some inline plastic connectors for the hoses and I reused the stock "t" connection used in the brake booster hose. I also got a new intake manifold gasket and some anti-seize for the bolts on the manifold. I ended up having to order a new check valve (CV) when I found a broken nipple and replaced the J boot which was cracked and broken in many places, so be prepared for this monetary possibility. Other than that I ordered the Venturi delete kit and the AOS hose replacement kit from Lindsey Racing (right about $250, can be found in forums for less if accepting used hoses). I may sound critical of their product below but only because I was doing an honest assessment. Their product is top notch and their service is fast and efficient. I have absolutely no complaints in any department. Links below to the resources I used for directions and diagrams. Study things a lot, I stood in front of my engine bay with the hose diagram and visualized the hoses running, then referred to the write ups when something wasn't clicking or I needed to get techniques. Don't be in a rush and when something frustrates you, be calm and breathe deep. 10 seconds later you will have a better attitude to approach it. Several factors dependent this can take 2 hours - 2 weeks.

I'll do a true introduction thread for the car someday, when I get some more info on her history that I'm waiting on. She's a beauty and an amazing driver even with multiple serious issues and an obvious history of neglect. That's ok, I'll love her enough for everyone and bring her shine out. Not so much a write up as a way to record my feeling of accomplishment. I'm getting closer to being able to say I'm a home mechanic, so I feel good about this. Off the bat, let's say to Lindsey Racing, your kit could include some feet of the bigger vacuum hose (7mm/8mm) to connect the fuel enrichment valuve/check valve for the waste gate to it's various connections. They say the hose included will stretch, but i found that to be a... stretch. **EDiT: I stand very corrected. There are simple and easy methods to get this to fit, quite snugly as well, so my argument is mute. Post 11 and 12 from rsabeebe's thread about this subject gives one great example.

This was a long process for me, because I'm learning how to wrench as I go along. We would take something apart, see something that needed replacing and then order it so we had to wait some time for parts to come in. Other than that, this was a *fairly* simple project. Pics to follow with basic descriptions. If anyone is searching this thread, just ask questions and I'll try to help you out.

Tips: Get about 2 feet of flexible fuel hose (I think the fuel hose is 1/4 or 3/16...). The fuel hose goes from the fuel vapor purge valve to the jboot. I would keep in mind you'll need inline connectors of various sizes, and some T's as well.. perhaps a 90 elbow or two. The hose that lindsey sends you to connect the manifold to the brake booster needs to be cut to accept a T. Go slow, double check everything, and take your time.

Followed the texas blake write up and the official venturi delete thread to do most of the work. Used the vacuum diagram here to run my lines and just visualized everything as I went. Here is a pic of the fuel rail removed. I took off the intercooler hard pipes, the maf and jboot to the turbo, the throttle cable and cruise control cable and oil dipstick tube and then the intake manifold with the throttle body connected.

Taking off all the stuff exposed the venturi piping that gets deleted. In the first picture, the hoses running from the brown and white 3 prong check valve connect to metal tubes which run to the bottom right corner of the picture. On the second picture, pretty much everything that looks like a hose in the center of the picture gets tossed. The venturi delete kit from lindsey racing covers the pipes from the big T looking valve (idle control valve/icv) and all the blue tubing you will see in following pictures. The venturi delete kit DOES NOT include tubing for the 3 prong valve (fuel enrichment valve/vacuum control valve) behind the icv. They say the included tubing in the venturi delete kit will fit over the prongs, but I tried and it wasn't as easy for me. I ran to napa auto parts and got some, was easy and cheap. LR does include some to cover your needs in their AOS kit.

Yes I cleaned the engine while I was in there. Sheesh, this drove down to NM from WI but it looks like it was stored in a barn!

Had to replace the jboot cause it was cracked and broken at each connection, and the fuel enrichment/vacuum check valve. Each were about $120 bucks... we went through 944online. Here is some pictures of lines being set and fitted. You can see the AOS below where the check valve used to be (that was the white and brown valve in the past pictures, not here cause it was broken and needed replacement). The hoses to that thing were junked and torn and yuck. I didn't replace my AOS seals (I should have) but I did replace those hoses. You can't see it, but there is blue silicone down there now too. The fuel loop ends up being tapped with another T to take the blow off valve (??) vac line. The thick silicone hose from the brake booster to the intake manifold (at the top of the pic above the yellow oil filler cap) gets cut to accept the T which routes in the line from fuel vapor purge to the vac booster on the other side of the engine (if memory serves, the diagram shows it clearly). I measured this 5 times, then cut to give the brake booster side plenty of room and err on cutting a bit extra off the intake side. This worked out fine, as LR evidently designed the hose knowing this would be needed. Not a problem.

Last edited by NM'87 951; 07-25-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good work.

What really spruces up the engine bay, is replacing all the coolant hoses with new silicone hoses. It's a pretty big undertaking however, but worth it in the end.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
NM'87 951
Racer

We did a little customizing. By we, i mean my landlord machined a AOS hose for me from the existing venturi system (ala s14kev) and my girlfriend painted some parts for a personal touch. He took the existing metal piping that we removed (first post, 2nd and 3rd pictures, center of picture) and milled off the two side tubes that fed the CV information. I ground down the milled tube (roughly) and she painted it with a off brand high temp auto spray paint. The kit Lindsey Racing sells comes with flexible silcone hose for this purpose and I see no reason you couldn't use it. S14kev posted this on my thread and I showed it to my landlord who (lucky for me) owns all sorts of fun tools. Looks kinda cool and it adds a personal touch.

Me and my land lord took an EMG machine he uses to diagnose electrical issues with his jaguar and tested force generation signals from the trapezius and the lateral aspect of the tricep... but I digress.

A few hiccups re-installing everything, but essentially the reverse of dis-assembly. Took my time to run the vac lines and the big battery cable (which had been running across my intake manifold ?? ;P) a bit more cleanly and had to un-bolt the intake manifold a couple of times to run lines properly (and clear the cruise cable, and throttle cable and re-bolt the oil dipstick tube and.... ugh). The waste gate line took 2 people to run but may be i could have done it on my own, regardless it was the hardest line to run (a VERY close 2nd to the two vac lines that run into those connections on the firewall). I stood there for a few hours, at least, with the LR vacuum diagram (link in first post) just running lines and then visualizing what was going to go where once things were installed and just getting myself psyched up to get the job done. Came out pretty nice though I think and besides a leaking fuel pressure regulator (being ordered right now) it started up after I put it all back together. An accomplishment in itself.

All done!! Made sure to super green and clean everything I could under there while I had it exposed. She's still a dirty girl but i'll wipe her down as I get in deeper

Was fun to get into this project. I needed some special tools, but nothing the guides I used didn't mention (nothing a typical mechanic wouldn't have). I would seriously consider the ISV/venturi hose kit AND the AOS replacement kit while doing the delete. Besides the LR kits I mentioned i only needed a bunch of hose clamps, a bit of extra hose and some brass inline hose connectors from the hardware store were all I really needed to add to this project to get it done. We trimmed an extra 3/4in from the manifold side of the brake booster hose (which has the t in it). This helps it fit under the hood and in front of the firewall better. I had hard plastic line running from the banjo bolt on the intake manifold to feed the DME so I cut and replaced with LR blue silicone then re-positioned the bolt so it runs under the intake. I also routed the 'bov' valve line under the IC piping and along the MAF wiring harness to keep a clean appearance.

Last edited by NM'87 951; 07-25-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:38 AM
NM'87 951
Racer

Originally Posted by Black51
Good work. What really spruces up the engine bay, is replacing all the coolant hoses with new silicone hoses. It's a pretty big undertaking however, but worth it in the end.
Good to know. Coolant lines were going to get touched up when I do the water pump, but I would wanna do the timing belt and stuff at the same time. Since I don't feel comfortable doing the belts, I may drain and flush the system and replace all the hoses I can get my hands on. The girlfriend will want them in yellow I'm sure... Or may be red.

Guess I'll get some more practice fitting intake manifold gaskets, and lining up all my hose clamps. Gonna send off the rail and injectors next time I take this apart.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

May wanna invest in some new fuel lines as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good, the pink/purple IC pipes are a nice touch. There was someone else here with a similar color on theirs, Laust perhaps?

Originally Posted by Black51
May wanna invest in some new fuel lines as well.
This. And don't forget to replace the jumper line that goes from the front of the fuel rail to the fuel damper.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:25 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott H
Looks good, the pink/purple IC pipes are a nice touch. There was someone else here with a similar color on theirs, Laust perhaps? This. And don't forget to replace the jumper line that goes from the front of the fuel rail to the fuel damper.
Thanks, she will appreciate that. Her first ever paint job! I honestly hadn't seen Lausts engine before.

I am going to send off the rail and injectors to mr. Injector, only because witch hunter doesn't do fuel rails. Once they get back I hope to have the ss fuel line kit and I'll replace that jumper line and the damper. Getting this engine sorted out and running in good nick is taking its toll, as in I'm about to send it to autohaus to get rebuilt lol.

Quick Reply: Installing my vacuum kit (pics)