Timing belt change question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing belt change question

I'm changing the water pump and belts.
For first time i turn the engine ultil the cammes mark was alligned and 1st cylinder firing. After i removed the starter motor to insert the flywheel tool and noticed that the mark in the flywhell was not exactly at the center of the groove in the bell housing, but a bit on the right, watching from under the car to the front. Considering the engine direction rotation, a bit advanced.
I know that in the engine is present another timing point near the RPM sensor, but i can't see it from above the engine...
How can i do?
Many thanks
Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Post a picture of how the mark on the flywheel is aligned with the slot on the bellhousing.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Stand on the driver's side of the car. Look down through the rectangular opening on top of the bell housing near where the speed and reference sensors mount.In this opening, you should see a tab protruding toward the rear of the car, and a shallow mark on the flywheel lining up with this tab. The letters 'OT' should be stamped near this mark.
If your flywheel is somewhat rusted on the perimeter (like mine) the mark that lines up with the speed and reference sensor block can be difficult to see.

Quick Reply: Timing belt change question