Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing Vacuum Hoses - Good source?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Vacuum Hoses - Good source?

As part of trying to make this thing pass CA smog I am going to replace all the vacuum hoses (several I can see don't look so good and the ones's I can't see are most likely worse!)

Is the general consensus to purchase the Porsche parts (i.e. porsche part numbers which appear on Pelican to be almost all special order) or to simply get some vacuum hose and just cut to the appropriate length? If the answer is to purchase generic vacuum hose, what is the O.D./I.D. I need.

Thx to all for the help.

Michael
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

Go the bulk silicone route, and don't let yourself be raped with the $75 "kit" from Lindsey either.

You can buy 50-75 feet of silicone hose from Lowes or Home Depot for like $10. That's what I did, cut each piece to spec, and worked great!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Great! That's what I needed to know. What size silicone hose do I want?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem with Generic is the Fittings, Angle's, and Size's, just using Silicone will lead to some bad kinks. Another issue for early Turbo's is the Venturi under the Intake, designed to aid Vacuum at higher RPM's, but mostly useless, so might just as well eliminate that. Dang Vacuum is the MOST important system on the 951, don't skimp. Try 944online for a complete kit, their a Sponsor and looooong time Supplier with correct parts.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

thx for the suggestion. However 944online wants $330 for the 944T vacuum hose kit and frankly, that's too much. Reading at posts from Chris White and others, clearly folks are successful with using generic vacuum hose. And Lindsey Racing (not know as a discount place) has hose/fittings kit for $35. I'm not looking for perfect, I'm looking for what will work.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:36 PM
riffman12
Intermediate

You sure it's failing due to a vacuum leak? What levels on the smog report are too high? Could be bad cat, a sensor issue etc.

That being said, vacuum line overhaul is never a bad idea.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

At this point I have no idea why it's failing smog. But I can see there are at least a couple of the elbow connectors that are looking pretty bad and it has a leak on one of the turbo oil lines. So if I have to replace a couple of connectors and take the manifold off to get at the turbo et al, it seems like it just makes sense to replace all the lines with new.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Lindsey Kit. Also make sure to get the Venturi delete kit from them. It works and isn't crazy expensive. Also they will last a long time.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Get the LR it and about ten feet extra small hose in case you decide to reroute or use the 4 port screw once you're into it... and if you have the money and time do the coolant hoses too. My car was running pretty good but once I got to messing with the hoses I don't see how, some of them were stiff as a board and shattered upon just a bit of pressure; the hose going to the wastegate was the worst.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 mm, 6 mm, and 10 mm Hoses are used, 3 mm should be a hard plastic Line. The Tee's and angle fittings are the hard part to find. Strange, ... I see the complete Kit with Intake Gaskets, Venturi delete, Fittings and such at 944online for $170, and he'll knock some off for his forum members. Fine by me if you go home built, wish you luck.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

FWIW, the coolant hoses were all replaced 18 months ago, so they should still be good. Actually I just ordered a bunch of the Tee's, Y's and elbows. They were easy to source (and cheap!) @Ronin-951 the kit you are looking at is really nothing more than a generic kit with the few specific molded parts for the venturi delete. I can source 10 ft of silicone hose and the other parts (gaskets, etc) for far less than $170.

I think I have it under control now (famous last words!!!) I've ordered all the little parts and just need to order the silicone hose.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM
speedfreak81
Instructor

I'm sorry but there is absolutely NO reason to pay the outrageous prices that some of these companies want.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Be careful with the silicone hoses - there are many types. the cheap stuff will drive you crazy by popping off all the time. You need to use the thick wall tubing. Under vacuum just about any tubing will stay on - but under boost the cheap stuff can expand easily and pop off.

The stock hard lines are quite good - its the connectors that are a problem!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

fabric hose - https://www.partsklassik.com/c-12-fuel-system.aspx
about $1.35 a foot, many sizes.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Be careful with the silicone hoses - there are many types. the cheap stuff will drive you crazy by popping off all the time. You need to use the thick wall tubing. Under vacuum just about any tubing will stay on - but under boost the cheap stuff can expand easily and pop off.

The stock hard lines are quite good - its the connectors that are a problem!
Said it well.

The Lindsey Racing lines are a very nice product. Do recommend.

Quick Reply: Replacing Vacuum Hoses - Good source?