Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another day at the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
and then die from autoerotic self asphyxiation in Bangkok?
I'd forgotten about that. A somewhat inglorious end.

Chris, how do you think the results might have been with a stock intake? I would have thought with that 'X' series GT35 and the short runner SFR intake that you may have seen more of a steeper curve with later onset.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:52 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's what Master Po does to you when you give away Shaolin secrets .
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Chris, how do you think the results might have been with a stock intake? I would have thought with that 'X' series GT35 and the short runner SFR intake that you may have seen more of a steeper curve with later onset.
Did Chris want to reply on this question?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Did Chris want to reply on this question?
I can cover it again if you want!

I have posted many times before that the stock intake is a very good design and I have used it to make lots of power on other engines. I use the SFR intake on my 16v projects because of the need to adapt to the 16v head.

For this project the Owner had already bought the SFR intake.

From a practical "real world" stand point intake tuning does not have a great effect on the onset of power, that is dependent on turbo spool up - that is much more dependent on turbo design and then ignition/fuel tuning and cam timing.

It would be interesting to do testing on the intake with out a turbo and see the differences. If I had lots of time I would love to develop an engine (intake, headers, cam, ignition) as a normally aspirated and then add the turbo (and of course retune it again!).
Old 10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

When I win the lotto I help fund that

I can cover it again if you want!

I have posted many times before that the stock intake is a very good design and I have used it to make lots of power on other engines. I use the SFR intake on my 16v projects because of the need to adapt to the 16v head.

For this project the Owner had already bought the SFR intake.

From a practical "real world" stand point intake tuning does not have a great effect on the onset of power, that is dependent on turbo spool up - that is much more dependent on turbo design and then ignition/fuel tuning and cam timing.

It would be interesting to do testing on the intake with out a turbo and see the differences. If I had lots of time I would love to develop an engine (intake, headers, cam, ignition) as a normally aspirated and then add the turbo (and of course retune it again!).
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Would you say that the stock intake would have net the same results on blitz's car as with the SFR intake?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I would be surprised if there was a significant difference between the SFR and stock intakes (I don't know Blitz's engine details of the top of my head!). The stock intake is rarely the choke point on a 944 engine.

when looking at an engine project as a whole I would recommend taking the $2k +/- cost of the SFR manifold and spending that on some real quality head work.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Oke thanks for the info.. As usual..

So how about a 16v manifold? At this moment i just want to cut off the some of the standard runners, weld a flange onto them with some trumpets and than create a collector!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Oke thanks for the info.. As usual..

So how about a 16v manifold? At this moment i just want to cut off the some of the standard runners, weld a flange onto them with some trumpets and than create a collector!
The stock 16v manifold is obviously not going to fit unless you relocate the turbo. Using the head flange and the first 4-6 inches of the runners will give you a good place to start....that's exactly what SFR does on the 16v manifolds.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Thom
Race Car

I would be surprised if there was a significant difference between the SFR and stock intakes (I don't know Blitz's engine details of the top of my head!). The stock intake is rarely the choke point on a 944 engine.

when looking at an engine project as a whole I would recommend taking the $2k +/- cost of the SFR manifold and spending that on some real quality head work.
I'm surprised to hear you say this. There is no way the stock intake will perform as well up top as a shorter runner intake, all other things being equal.

Have you actually ever done back-to-back testing between the stock intake and another one with shorter runners on the exact same engine?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
I'm surprised to hear you say this. There is no way the stock intake will perform as well up top as a shorter runner intake, all other things being equal.

Have you actually ever done back-to-back testing between the stock intake and another one with shorter runners on the exact same engine?
No, but you can tell from the shape of the torque curve if the VE is falling off at higher RPM - and on similar engines the shape of the torque curve on an SFR and a stock intake are not very different.

Keep in mind that I am not talking about 7k rpm engines, up to 6k the stock manifold will not be the limiting factor.

Above 6k you are more likely to run into turbo efficiency fall off and cam/head flow issues than a tuning from the stock manifold. Are you concerned with a 5-10 hp difference at 6400 rpm? I'll gladly toss that out in order to get better mid range performance!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Thom
Race Car

Ok, I get your point, but I am pretty sure the curves here would have looked much different up top with the stock intake, especially considering how much of a large frame turbo the GTX3582R is.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

The stock 16v manifold is obviously not going to fit unless you relocate the turbo. Using the head flange and the first 4-6 inches of the runners will give you a good place to start....that's exactly what SFR does on the 16v manifolds.
Oke, so what i'm going to do is just the same as what everyone else does!

And ofcourse i know this will not be the perfect intake manifold.. I don't have the resources nor the skills to build it!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Ok, I get your point, but I am pretty sure the curves here would have looked much different up top with the stock intake, especially considering how much of a large frame turbo the GTX3582R is.
It is an interesting point and a shame that to date no one has done back to back testing on different intakes to show what works and what does not. GIven they are not that hard to swap over it would be interesting to see the actual results, especially on a 3.0.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Porsche tested it. I bet the first thing they did, was bigger version of 924 turbo manifold, but that somehow did not work as it was supposed to, then they experimented a lot more.

I mean you have to get creative to develop something that looks like 951 manifold. I wonder how many man hours were spent on that piece alone.

Quick Reply: Another day at the Dyno