Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trouble starting after refirb new maf fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM
miragezero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting after refirb new maf fuel rail

Hey guys, I'm finally firing the car back up after a long refirb. I have done the following that could affect this:
-New LR fuel rail and remote regulator
-Abaco dbx 85mm MAF
-New all new belts and hoses including timing belt

The car turns over just fine; no weird noises or anything. The first time I cranked it it turned over roughly for about 5-10 seconds. I have been able to duplicate this by feathering the gas pedal to mid position. It'll try to run for a few seconds and then die. I've checked all the plugs for spark with an inline indicator and they're good, firing order is good as well.

On the remote pressure gauge it has always read 20 lbs even when i knew there was no pressure on the system so I'm not sure if I should adjust it to 3 bar plus 20 or not but have played around a bit with it... no effect.

On the maf I used file 951AM5LR and am on position 5 on the meter like mr lindsey suggested... tried 4 and 6 and seven.. same thing. Checked out the meter as best I can; files are good and it has 12 VDC on the plug (LR wiring alteration at cpu harness).

I can't tell if its not getting enough air or fuel; I smell fuel and I know it's got pressure. When I hit the pedal I do get more activity but then it just dies like it runs out of fuel.

The car has been chipped before but they aren't LR, however it should be similar I'd think. If you think this is a huge deal I can order the lindsey chips, but I was waiting until I got the 3" exhaust. I have the originals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The first time I cranked it I was like 'YEEEESSS- oh.'
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Update: got it to run on settings 1 and 2 on MAF which are the leanest of all. I backed the fuel reg off as far as it would go and did this.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Sounds like the problem is getting the MAF, fuel pressure, chips, and injectors all tuned to produce a good AFR. Were they all designed/tuned to work together?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail too see what pressure your car is getting.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Sounds like the problem is getting the MAF, fuel pressure, chips, and injectors all tuned to produce a good AFR. Were they all designed/tuned to work together?
Not exactly, everything is stock with exception of the chips and the maf and fuel reg... fuel reg pressure is accurate; checked it, I was mistaken about the error. The chips are aftermarket of unknown age or origin but worked great with the stock setup. That's really the only thing that is odd man out and and unknown at this point. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the 3" exhaust yet for new chips.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I've never used that MAF but it appears from the Lindsey website that the MAF itself needs to be calibrated/tuned for your particular set up. Did you do that?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I run that MAF. Did you talk to Lindsey or get advice on running the 951AM5LR profile at position 5 from the website? The profile and position to run the MAF at is going to e dependent on your chips, I'm not sure how you could determine what to set it at with unknown chips. I'd try to find a set of stock or known chips to use, mine has been rock solid with stock chips for 3 years.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:14 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Yeah.. all the tables are in memory; double checked and rewrote them again today.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Originally Posted by chrenan
I run that MAF. Did you talk to Lindsey or get advice on running the 951AM5LR profile at position 5 from the website? The profile and position to run the MAF at is going to e dependent on your chips, I'm not sure how you could determine what to set it at with unknown chips. I'd try to find a set of stock or known chips to use, mine has been rock solid with stock chips for 3 years.
No, via email from LR; he was just making a best guess based on the unknown chips etc.. understandable. I'll reinstall the stock chips and see what happens.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Stock chips are worse; I'll wait to see what LR says heh
Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM
miragezero
Instructor

Solved... but not before causing other fiasco... original problem was reversed the idle stab flow by accident on my part... then lost spark... then fried a KLR chip going too fast swapping stuff to a spare KLR from previous owner... put in new injector and sensor wiring... got everything back together properly... turned key... vroom! Perfect. Only problem now is a little rough after letting off the throttle when it bottoms out from 2k+ rpm but there's another thread for that already. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Trouble starting after refirb new maf fuel rail