Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im done for today,

Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

If i want to take off the cam tower ill have to remove timing belt?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas
If i want to take off the cam tower ill have to remove timing belt?
Yes. You might look at my head gasket R&R in the link below -- it has all the steps you need, just stop before pulling the head off...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Yes. You might look at my head gasket R&R in the link below -- it has all the steps you need, just stop before pulling the head off...
You shouldn't have to pull the intake either though right? In fact do you really have to remove the timing belt, or just de-tension it and slip it off the cam sprocket? That should save you having to touch the balance shaft. Then just check the routing around all pulleys carefully when you're putting it back on and re-tensioning.

Also, if you have the factory toolkit, there is a 6mm allen key that will reach the bolts inside the cam tower. You can just hook a box end wrench onto the short end for leverage. You will still need something you can attach to a torque wrench to for putting it back together though.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by divil
You shouldn't have to pull the intake either though right? In fact do you really have to remove the timing belt, or just de-tension it and slip it off the cam sprocket? That should save you having to touch the balance shaft. Then just check the routing around all pulleys carefully when you're putting it back on and re-tensioning.

Also, if you have the factory toolkit, there is a 6mm allen key that will reach the bolts inside the cam tower. You can just hook a box end wrench onto the short end for leverage. You will still need something you can attach to a torque wrench to for putting it back together though.
Right, exactly -- I thought you were asking if you had to pull it off the sprocket, but you're right, you can slip it off the sprocket and otherwise leave it sitting in place. Not sure about the factory tool kit. You can either use a long hex key socket, or if that's unavailable, you can take a standard 6mm L-shaped key, cut off the L part so you have a straight hex shaft, and then drive it with a 6mm socket (3/8 or 1/2 drive is best since those guys get tight and they are easy to strip if you are straining with the ratchet).
Old 07-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

all right thanks guys, been messing around with my ac compressor right now, cant put it back in place lol, wanted to look if my timing isnt off, because cam sproket when i got to it was kinda lose, i think it ruined the seal there while it was lose, i wonder who was messing with it before me and didnt bolt it on properly
Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Loose? The sprocket itself was loose? Wonder if you have a broken bolt holding it to the cam and/or if that is related to your clattering? Usually those things feel tight even after you remove the bolt. Definitely worth getting to the bottom of that....
Old 07-25-2013, 04:17 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

all right thanks guys, been messing around with my ac compressor right now, cant put it back in place lol, wanted to look if my timing isnt off, because cam sproket when i got to it was kinda lose, i think it ruined the seal there while it was lose, i wonder who was messing with it before me and didnt bolt it on properly
Wow, sounds like maybe the bolt backed out? Obviously do not run the car until you get to the bottom of that!

You will need a triple square socket for that cam bolt. You can sometimes find them at Autozone.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

i have a specialty tool kit for vw/audi/porsche with special sockets
yeah when i took distibutor cap, thats what got my attention the whole thing was moving around
Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

i dont know if its possible to see but marks on timing belt and balance shaft belts are not in line
i dont know if they should be tho
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a specialty tool kit for vw/audi/porsche with special sockets
yeah when i took distibutor cap, thats what got my attention the whole thing was moving around
Can you post a video showing how loose the sprocket is?

Also, if the sprocket was moving around, the rotor and cap would have really unusual wear. If you can post the video, pan over to the rotor and the inside of the cap for us.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

sorry for vertical video, i only have two hands, and it looked good on the phone :d
so when i removed timing belt cover there was oil all over the place.. and i lost one of the intake manifold vacuum bolt somethere in engine bay, its like a black hole nothing ever falls out on the ground
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

I think you are lucky you caught this when you did. You really need to pull that sprocket now, and see what the woodruf key looks like. As Tom pointed out the sprocket should not be loose like that even with the bolt backed out. The key could be damaged. Presumably this was the source of the noise all along?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As Divil stated, your woodruff key is most likely pretty mangled. I would take this time to replace it with an offset key and advance your cam 4* to pick up some low end and midrange torque and quicker turbo response. Its a cheap, easy dyno proven mod.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

minor setback.. broken tools, ill post pics tommorow. i was able to remove sproket and woodruff key, didnt take a good look at it but it looks ok, anyway, ill give uptades tommorow going to sleep.

Quick Reply: help! engine knock at idle