Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

That car had "Vintage Racing" written all over it. Modifying it would be a bad thing, it's an almost 30 year old race car.
Most folks that have not done some actual racing don't get it. Racing a chump car is as rewarding as racing a cup car. Sure, a cup car has more prestige, it's a lot faster and sure looks nicer - but racing is you vs the guy just in front of you. If you plan on winning by out spending him instead of out diving him then you will need a vey big pile of cash!

It's a neat car but its a historic car not a competitive car.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
That car had "Vintage Racing" written all over Modifying it would be a bad thing, it's an almost 30 year old race car.
Most folks that have not done some actual racing don't get it. Racing a chump car is as rewarding as racing a cup car. Sure, a cup car has more prestige, it's a lot faster and sure looks nicer - but racing is you vs the guy just in front of you. If you plan on winning by out spending him instead of out diving him then you will need a vey big pile of cash!

It's a neat car but its a historic car not a competitive car.
Well.... I can testify about spending a pile of cash to beat a new cup car.

But your 100% correct about it not being about the type of car you race.

This year I did a couple of races in a BMW 2002 and had at least much fun as I've had racing any Porsche.

Racing to have fun is one thing. But to win, even in "equal" cars always means spending good money, even in "cheap" car like a 2002.

To win against a new cup car means spending more.

But I disagree with the GTR not being competitive (depending on the class).

With a tube frame and the suspension and Hewland trans.... And the HP being able to max out the class, I think it could run all day against a new cup car. It's already got a flat bottom. All it needs is a wing and abs.

And with the 997 cup cars (and for sure the pdk 991up cars) starting to be pushed into the fastest classes (which allow for tube frame cars) it would make for good racing. Reliability not withstanding, with a wing and abs, I'd put my money on the 944.

TonyG
Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep in mind that the car in question wold run in the "prototype" class in PCA....good luck if anything else shows up!!!!
You might get to drive around with cup cars in the same session - but you won't be racing them for points!

You might even get to race a 'real' GT1 911 factory race car.....not even close!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car was driven to the pole on a few Trans Am races, something that no other 4 banger Porsche had ever dove. Like always, could'nt keep the head on the block.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefffhrey
NA camshaft 4 degrees Advance cam timing.
^^^SPAM^^^
Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 PM
tomjshore
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know who drove the car and its race history back in the day?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Keep in mind that the car in question wold run in the "prototype" class in PCA....good luck if anything else shows up!!!!
You might get to drive around with cup cars in the same session - but you won't be racing them for points!

You might even get to race a 'real' GT1 911 factory race car.....not even close!
In NASA (I believe) and POC it wouldn't. Not sure where it would fit in SCCA but it would probably fall under a legit class.

Still... with ABS and aero, it would be a very fast car around the race track.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Interesting Race Car