Gear driven Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
...and as long as the maker is not BMW

Although to be fair the biggest problem is probably that they decided to put the chain at the back of the engine. Not a bad reflection on timing chains generally.
Porsche isn't perfect either -- just ask the M96/M97 (Boxster/996/997) owners......
Old 07-11-2013, 06:39 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
That’s a Gallardo engine. Designed and engineered by “our cousins” at Audi ... nothing to sneeze about.

The advantage of having the cam drive at the back (near the flywheel) is having a smooth drive unaffected by the torsional twist of the crankshaft under load. Obviously serviceability is not its strong point.

I like the layout of my Espada (V12 with DOHC for each bank). A small gearwheel on the crank engages a larger wheel (2:1 ratio, one per bank) which also has a sprocket attached, which drives the two cams via a chain (one chain per bank). That way the diameter of the cam sprockets can be kept small (good space utilization) and the chains short (no need for chain guides).

Laust
I suppose we can one up that design with the Wankel engine. Theres no belt, chain, or gear drive to load up the crankshaft. Just two (sometimes 3 or 4) perfectly balanced doritos..

Quick Reply: Gear driven Cam