Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS6 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS6 944

I have just completed converting my motor to attempt to pass California Smog.

I brought the car from Canada last year; it was originally sold in California then imported to Canada. The car started its life a as 1986 non sunroof N/A but over the years I have converted to full turbo spec minus the motor, I installed the LS6 two years ago. The car currently has a 2002 LS6 with a medium cam with milled 243 heads, its coupled to a 968 6 speed.

For smog purposed, the motor emulates a 2002 Camaro, I added cats, air pump, fuel tank pressure sensor and full EVAP system. I also installed a large engine check light; this is mandatory to pass CA smog.

Along with the smog pieces, I also installed Big Reds with SFR Tubular A Arms, late offset spindles + hubs. For better breaking, I added a Ford Hydroboost system and a Hayden Power Steering Cooler.

The radiator has been upgraded to a Griffin Circle Track unit from Summit, this rad with LS6 sucked in over 3 Gallons of Prestone, I thought there was a hold somewhere and the stuff was pouring out onto my garage floor.

Lastly, I added a Accusump 2 quart Marine unit I purchased used on Ebay, it is fitted it in place of the windshield washer pump and reservoir and is a nice safety addition.

My nest step will be to have the motor tuned to pass smog, I will then book an appointment to have a referee inspect it, wish me lots of luck!!

More info can be found here;

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t21...highlight=smog
Attached Images    

Last edited by pormgb; 06-18-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Looks great and good luck with the smog! A guy in Northern Cal had a LS1 get its bar sticker a year or two ago, so it does seem possible. Any particular reason you chose a 2002 Camaro to emulate for smog?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Nice job!

Very clean conversion.

TonyG
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 AM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Looks great and good luck with the smog! A guy in Northern Cal had a LS1 get its bar sticker a year or two ago, so it does seem possible. Any particular reason you chose a 2002 Camaro to emulate for smog?
Yes, 2002 Camaro's don't have EGR valves (I have an LS6 Intake with no EGR) and use cast exhaust manifolds, Early Camaro/Firebirds used pressed steel manifold that wont fit 944s.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 AM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyG
Nice job!

Very clean conversion.

TonyG
Thanks!!

I actually saw something on you old car that I'm considering installing, I see you used a Heidt's Adjustable Power Steering Valve to control Hydroboost feel, how did this work for you?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by pormgb
Yes, 2002 Camaro's don't have EGR valves (I have an LS6 Intake with no EGR) and use cast exhaust manifolds, Early Camaro/Firebirds used pressed steel manifold that wont fit 944s.
Good info, thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:20 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Thanks!!

I actually saw something on you old car that I'm considering installing, I see you used a Heidt's Adjustable Power Steering Valve to control Hydroboost feel, how did this work for you?
You can't use that for adjusting the Hydraboost feel.

The Hydraboost maintains its own pressure. The supply pressure won't affect the operation or the pedal feel.

To alter the pedal feel, you either need a different Hydraboost unit (and there are lots), or alter the height of where the brake pedal push rod is located relative to the brake pedal hinge point (up or down to change the pressure & throw), master cylinder size (larger to reduce pedal leverage and throw and vice versa), etc....

My guess is that there is too much assist. And if that's the case, what master cylinder are you using? And did you modify the brake pedal to lower the push rod location (ie., drill a hole lower by 1/4" or so)?

TonyG
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work! Where did you source the pcv oil catch cans from?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM
pormgb
Racer

You can't use that for adjusting the Hydraboost feel.

The Hydraboost maintains its own pressure. The supply pressure won't affect the operation or the pedal feel.

To alter the pedal feel, you either need a different Hydraboost unit (and there are lots), or alter the height of where the brake pedal push rod is located relative to the brake pedal hinge point (up or down to change the pressure & throw), master cylinder size (larger to reduce pedal leverage and throw and vice versa), etc....

My guess is that there is too much assist. And if that's the case, what master cylinder are you using? And did you modify the brake pedal to lower the push rod location (ie., drill a hole lower by 1/4" or so)?

TonyG

I am using a stock Ford Mustang Hydroboost with master cylinder and the stock hinge point.

I have not taken the car out yet so I don't really know how the brakes feel while in motion, once I am on the road, I can make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks for the information!!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by acorad
Nice work! Where did you source the pcv oil catch cans from?
Picked them up on Ebay, I used a couple of T Bolt clamps with a bridge welded between the metal screws. I couldn't bring myself to spend over a $100.00 for dual catch cams.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271178553644...84.m1497.l2649
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I am using a stock Ford Mustang Hydroboost with master cylinder and the stock hinge point.

I have not taken the car out yet so I don't really know how the brakes feel while in motion, once I am on the road, I can make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks for the information!!
Which master cylinder? I don't believe the stock master cylinder works with the Hydraboost.

The reason I ask is that there are several with different sized pistons.

TonyG
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM
BisimotoSales
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the swap! Wish you the best of luck with having your vehicle certified at the referee inspection.

- Julio A.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I couldn't bring myself to spend over a $100.00 for dual catch cans.[/url]
I did but the "clean" side never catches anything. Props on your conversion and best of luck with CARB.

Rich
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

What did you do for the steering shaft with the stock manifolds/precats?

TonyG
Old 06-18-2013, 04:10 PM
pormgb
Racer

Which master cylinder? I don't believe the stock master cylinder works with the Hydraboost.

The reason I ask is that there are several with different sized pistons.

TonyG
Its a complete Ford Mustang Hydroboost system including Ford master cylinder, I modified the reservoir to allow the master cylinder to fit under the strut brace.

Quick Reply: LS6 944