Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
You neglected to mention how many miles are on the engine but I would say confidently that it is time for a valve job.

Just turned 65k
Old 06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
Just turned 65k

If it needed a valve job wouldn't my plugs be oily?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If the oil was being burned in the combustion chamber, you would most likely see it on the plugs, yes.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
If the oil was being burned in the combustion chamber, you would most likely see it on the plugs, yes.
Thanks.

This is challenging!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fejjj -- I'm having the exact same issue that you are having. My turbo was rebuilt by evergreen and I'm seeing puffs of blue at higher boost levels and nothing at cruising and idle. My engine was rebuilt last winter and I'm in the process of tuning things now. I wasn't sure if my rings needed to seat a bit more but then I ran across your post.
I thought that blowby was causing excess pressure within the crankcase. I hooked a vacuum/boost gauge up to the top of the dipstick tube and routed the vacuum line and gauge into the car so I can view things while driving. With the engine off the gauge is at 0. At warm idle/cruising I get -2 or -3 psi on the gauge. When I get into higher boost ranges, 12 or 15 psi in the intake manifold, the gauge connected to the crankcase climbs and stops just a hair above zero. This proves that I'm getting some blowby pressure introduced to the crank. Once the crankcase pressure gets to zero or just over is when I see the blueish puffs in the rear view mirror. The crank vent is plumbed into the MAF tree with a low cracking pressure oneway PCV valve inline. I believe that is why the gauge connected to the crankcase only goes to zero, or just above, because this PCV valve opens releasing the pressure.

I have almost gotten rid of the smoke but evidently there is more to do. I was going to send Charlie @ Evergreen an email to get his thoughts on it. Maybe we need to add an oil flow reducer in the oil feed line to the top of the turbo.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Update.

When we pulled the J boot to the turbo there was oil pooled on the turbo intake flange.

Does this mean that it is the turbo seals?

Quick Reply: Oil consumption