Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone's ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:24 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 951blur
I am just trying to get the damn thing to run right. The mafterburner is an absolute joke. The car runs differently evertime i drive it. I want it to be more drivable and make more power. It's to rich right now and has no bottom end, wont even light the tires up when it should. My mechanic says he can tune a car with a motec with his eyes shut sitting on a beach in the caribbean.
Who is tuning it? As I have a Motec in my car. The dyno will get you about 75% to 80% of where you need to be. The Motec I am running stores about 10minutes worth of data. After taking it out and running it you need to down load and save the data.

The hard part is not the duty under 70% or greater load, it is about the drivability in the 25% to 30% load range that is the killer. That is where all the tough mapping takes place and where you will do the majority of your driving. The dyno will place it under about an 80% load and as such will get decent mapping from it. But that region is the easy portion as it takes no finesse as the injectors are basically hoses putting the fuel to the cylinders as fast as they can.

Where is he talking about taking the ref and sync from, crank, cam or a combination? Who is buiding the harness? Who is pulling the old harness? Be careful of what wires you cut as you may not want to lose that portion of your functionality.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Most people aren't commenting on how expensive it is, but how cheap it is.
Not the OP. He was commenting on how expensive it is and was looking for a cheaper option. I was responding to his inquiry. If he choses to go with another system that his mechanic doens't specialize in or know inside and out he could, and most probably will, spend more than the quoted $4000 that he thinks is too much and end up with a car that doesn't run nearly as well. I've seen way too many people going in on the cheap initially only to end up spending a bunch more and getting disgusted with the car. People here are not paying attention to the fact the shop he uses specializes in MoTec systems and before I spoke didn't give any credit to the fact that going with another system may cause more headaches than it's worth. From my experience, it's the install and quality of knowledge of the shop that will make the biggest difference in how well a system performs.

For example, when I put an aftermarket ECU on my NSX I flew up a guy from California to check the system over and then tune the car. Why? Because this guy does up to 10 of these installs a month on NSX's with this exact system and he had me up and running in an afternoon with a tune that works. He also spotted a few things that needed to be changed in the install that someone who wasn't familiar with the cars or the ECU may have missed. Having him up here was priceless for me and saved a ton of guess work that someone else would have done.

Summary - use the system your shop has experience with. If you want to use another system find a shop that has experience with them. The shop is the biggest part of the end result - not the particular ECU. Again just my $0.02

Last edited by SoloRacer; 06-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Standalone's ?