Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

NO BOOST!!!! Did I just N/A my Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went out to the parking lot and confirmed that the wastegate is stuck open. I started the car and reached under to feel the dump pipe off the wastegate. It started to warm up immediately, within 60 sec it was hot.

I also got confirmation that Pauer Tuning is no longer making the Tial wastegate kits. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find the necessary adapter for a Tial 38mm wastegate, please let me know.

Thanks.
Roger
Old 09-22-2014, 04:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5
I just went out to the parking lot and confirmed that the wastegate is stuck open. I started the car and reached under to feel the dump pipe off the wastegate. It started to warm up immediately, within 60 sec it was hot.

I also got confirmation that Pauer Tuning is no longer making the Tial wastegate kits. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find the necessary adapter for a Tial 38mm wastegate, please let me know.

Thanks.
Roger
Send a PM to fejjj.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks. If I do turn the car into a club racer, it won't be for another 3-4 years. I see a lot of positive info regarding the Tial. I'm thinking maybe I should just go that route now and worry about club racing when that time comes.

Roger
My advice: don't "build" anything. Buy a CR car that's already done and ready to race.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Send a PM to fejjj.
Just did. Thanks.

Are there different models of Tial 38mm wastegates? I thought I saw a Sport and a BV, etc.

Roger
Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

His kit is on eBay ...well it was, just sold lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151416349416?redirect=mobile
And pauer tuning sold the f38 38mm tial duel port wastegate sport version, if your looking to go that route
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by mahoney944
His kit is on eBay ...well it was, just sold lol
Porsche 944 Turbo Tial 38mm Wastegate Adapter Plates Worldwide Shipping 951 | eBay

And pauer tuning sold the f38 38mm tial duel port wastegate sport version, if your looking to go that route
I just bought the fejjj kit off Ebay. Now I need to find the Tial Sport 38mm.

Roger
Old 09-22-2014, 04:29 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought the fejjj kit off Ebay. Now I need to find the Tial Sport 38mm.

Roger
This was pauer tunings previous distributor. So call them and they can get you what you need, you can order any color you want

Turbos Direct LLC.
3581 W Electra Lane* Suite 100
Glendale, AZ 85310
623-376-2562 (Sales*)
623-587-9848 (Fax)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this very same situation happen to me this morning on my way to work. Started out and I was making boost fine (aftermarket boost gauge). The next thing I know, I have a smooth running NA 944. Great vacuum, still 20 inches at idle. Everything else is great, runs fine, accelerates smoothly, quietly, just makes zero boost.

I have suspected that the waste gate might be a weak link since I acquired the car back in May (previous owner shimmed it). Sometimes I would get inconsistent boost levels (have Lindsey MBC, 951Max chips, no cat). Last week it started suddenly increasing boost beyond what I had it set at, 17-18 psi vs 15 previously.

86 951 Driver,
I think I saw in your posts that you went with a Lindsey Dual Port. Sitll happy with this?

Thanks.
Roger
I haven't been on here in a while. But I still check it from time to time.

My car did burn up in a fire shortly after this. Before that the car ram great. Boost came on a bit sooner than when it was stock, and it complimented my other mods. I would recommend it. For the money though you can get a nice tial with adapter plates.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I haven't been on here in a while. But I still check it from time to time.

My car did burn up in a fire shortly after this. Before that the car ram great. Boost came on a bit sooner than when it was stock, and it complimented my other mods. I would recommend it. For the money though you can get a nice tial with adapter plates.
Yes, I decided to go with the Tial. Sorry about your car. Hopefully you have a comparable replacement?

Roger
Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. If I do turn the car into a club racer, it won't be for another 3-4 years. I see a lot of positive info regarding the Tial. I'm thinking maybe I should just go that route now and worry about club racing when that time comes.

Roger
Tial is half the cost of the approved gate. The rules are now such that I do not understand a reason that PCA would continue the ban. Aftermarket chips are allowed and they allegedly have a way to measure boost, which is limited to 12 PSI but otherwise unrestricted. I have a Tial, though not on any of my cars, yet. I am hoping that PCA will consider allowing aftermarket gates in the future. I hope to lobby for it, but I will in all likelihood have converted by TUrbo to a 968, S2, or S if I can get enough weight out, and not be dealing with the complexity of a turbo in the future.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by 67King
Tial is half the cost of the approved gate. The rules are now such that I do not understand a reason that PCA would continue the ban. Aftermarket chips are allowed and they allegedly have a way to measure boost, which is limited to 12 PSI but otherwise unrestricted. I have a Tial, though not on any of my cars, yet. I am hoping that PCA will consider allowing aftermarket gates in the future. I hope to lobby for it, but I will in all likelihood have converted by TUrbo to a 968, S2, or S if I can get enough weight out, and not be dealing with the complexity of a turbo in the future.
Yes, I ordered all the Tial components yesterday. All in, with gaskets, it was about $400, plus I can keep my stock wastegate. Hopefully I will get it installed this weekend. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly, even though it rarely does!

A quick reply to the suggestion of buying a race car. Yes, in the end that is usually the easiest and cheapest route. However, there are some extenuating circumstances here. The 951 will be my son's daily driver until he leaves for college. It has already been, and will continue to be (whether we like it or not!) a source for "father son projects". We will have some fun working on it, modding it, autocrossing and DEing it. When this phase ends, then I may convert it to a club racer.

Roger

Quick Reply: NO BOOST!!!! Did I just N/A my Turbo?