Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Way too much turbo lag...exhaust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:46 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default interesting drive

I think I just had a "good day" or rather a few good hours.

In 2nd gear, I'm seeing 1 bar at 2.5K rpm instead of 3K, and positive boost before 3K. Last time, 3K rpm had me at 1 bar dead. It seemed to be on max boost a little before 4.

What I did today was I cleaned 3 electrical ground connections: the one on the firewall inside the battery box, and the 2 on the bell housing. The one on the firewall and the big one on the bell housing looked quite bad. I sandpapered the tabs and the chasis until they were shiny.

Did that make a difference? I can't say, since I sometimes used to have days like this anyway. It's wet as hell out now and I can't really test it properly any more. The next few days will tell. It broke a little loose on me once and that's all the warning I need to leave it till tomorrow

EDIT...looking at the videos I recorded, it might be nothing. I think I started at higher rpm when I did the test a few days ago. Will just have to wait for the dry to test it properly
Old 05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Well after a few days of driving I am pretty sure I have fixed something. I think I may have misled you guys, unintentionally of course...

I now think that what I had was a problem with accelerating under load, including - but not limited to - boost situations. I've noticed over the last few days that it's consistently smoother and quicker even off boost, and definitely quicker to spool up. I hadn't realized how bad it was off boost until the problem went away. It has been an absolute blast to drive for the last few days.

Is it possible this was due to a bad ground and cleaning the connections on the main ground strap fixed it? As I mentioned I was occasionally getting good days before, but I don't remember it being flawless for several days in a row like this.

Quick Reply: Way too much turbo lag...exhaust issues?