Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default dyno dynamics shoot out mode..

Who has used this before?

I know patrick has and apparently they should read the same numbers on any dyno because of this 'shoot out mode' being able to compair dynos with other days or cars. But i hear a case of low numbers being provided.

Anyone got the low down on this? I'm probably going to for a run and see how my car is doing. Then after Josh updates me, i'll probably go again.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you will find that 'shoot out' is just the standard way they are set up. But dyno operators always know how to adjust the 'output' , for tuning it is best to just use the same dyno on the same settings.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Who has used this before?

I know patrick has and apparently they should read the same numbers on any dyno because of this 'shoot out mode' being able to compair dynos with other days or cars. But i hear a case of low numbers being provided.

Anyone got the low down on this? I'm probably going to for a run and see how my car is doing. Then after Josh updates me, i'll probably go again.
A shootout mode for a dyno is pretty much impossible. There are factors that just can't be accounted for and variables from dyno to dyno. I think a dynopack could get a little closer than a traditional roller dyno since it rules out variance from position on the rollers, but still, not perfect.

Why not go based on 1/4 mile trap speed?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I’ve always assumed it was a mode to obtain the highest read as possible and pretty much most operators use it from memory. Obviously they want you to be happiest with your numbers if they’ve had anything to do with the build. However some users don’t show any of the parameters of mode and characteristics when using these DD’s so you don’t know what mode or Ramp Rate they’re using. The Ramp Rate can be modified to get an immediate 10%~ rise in figures as I’ve shown before. So that’s one thing I look at when viewing a chart. There’s also a few other tricks some operators use to make the figure increase.

In short, if you’re going to use this dyno for future tuning the figure is best viewed as a control number to go off when making any changes….but it’s still always nice to see healthy numbers of course! Gotta feel justified for spending all the $$ over the years. :-)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I've always got that impression in shoot out mode, you can actually use it as a valid number if done correctly. I personally don't care what number i see. I'd be more Peed of if it was an over exaggerated number.
Apparently the ramp mode should all be the same depending on your engine size in cylinders or something like that when i looked it up.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

All I know is that by merely changing the ramp rate from 1 to 1.5 they produced an increase on the dyno of 24whp.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Hmm, Before i go to the dyno, i'll get you to give me the numbers they threw in on the dyno (if you remember them) to get a comparison. obviously not the temperature or humidity.. If that makes sense.

It would be good to compair my set up to yours as we both have similar heads, cams, turbos and intercoolers. Except a lot less boost.

Quick Reply: dyno dynamics shoot out mode..