Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can I rebuild the control arm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing, Rob is and has been offering up bad information to the community on this subject for his own personal satisfaction. He dislikes me (Rennbay) for reasons I still cannot understand but feel free to try and figure it out for yourself. It started HERE

The real facts on aluminum control arms are...

In the long run, a properly rebuilt ball joint in an aluminum arm has near zero bushing wear. Historically, the ball joints in the aluminum arms have been the weak link which has been addressed with upgraded materials during the rebuild.

As for any fatigue issues with the aluminum arm itself, there are none. Feel free to search and you will find that all failures have been ball joint related, which has been addressed with upgraded materials during the rebuild.

With steel arms, in the long run you will still be replacing the ball joints at regular intervals, the bushing materials are still nylon and you still cannot add grease to them.

And if rebuilding the aluminum arms seems difficult, here is a video on YouTube showing you how.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Travis! I will verify if my arms are still in good enough condition to rebuild next week when I'm back home.

Quick Reply: Can I rebuild the control arm?