Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Early N/A exhaust manifold gaskets on a 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Early N/A exhaust manifold gaskets on a 951

A few months ago I had to pull my 2-3 header to fix a stripped hole and blown gasket. To do so I had to loosen the 1-4 header and while I was in there I noticed that all the gaskets were the old style for an early 944. The PO was an idiot about a lot of things so it didn't surprise me to see that he had put the wrong ones on there. I didnt think much of it at the time, replaced the bad gasket with the proper 951 part and bolted it all back up. I am about to install a new wastegate so if I need to correct this, now seems like the best time. I know the design of the turbo gasket is much better but is it something I need to be concerned with? I'm hoping this is something I can leave alone until the old gaskets burn up and need to be replaced as regular maintenance. My only concern is that I know the 951 has larger header primaries, so is the ID of the gasket also larger? If so this would imply that not only is the N/A gasket causing an exhaust restriction but that when/if the gaskets burn up and shed material, it poses a danger to the turbine.

Quick Reply: Early N/A exhaust manifold gaskets on a 951