Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Calling up Exhaust experts & Turning/fab experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM
kent426
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
My 2 cents worth, or at least a pic of my 4" on the FL car. Just noticed that I hate those clamps!!!
I could not get the original LR clamps to seal either so I bought a set of Walker clamps from Summit Racing and no more leaks.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I'm still unsure why the cups tie in is further down also. where they could have saved weight and tied it in closer to the gate.
You are kinda answering your own question.
If you tie in to close, it creates turbulence, and that creates back pressure; which then almost doubles in front of the turbine (where it really matters).
If I read the thread carefully enough it seems you haven't tried a little dump muffler, yet. (Or, did I miss that) Why don't you see what that sounds like, first.
(I know you made up your mind, but just sayin')
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
You are kinda answering your own question.
If you tie in to close, it creates turbulence, and that creates back pressure; which then almost doubles in front of the turbine (where it really matters).
If I read the thread carefully enough it seems you haven't tried a little dump muffler, yet. (Or, did I miss that) Why don't you see what that sounds like, first.
(I know you made up your mind, but just sayin')
Sort of, I'm more curious to why they couldn't have went more closer to where everyone else puts them, then go back in the stock location. For the cup car that is. But does that distance make a huge difference? or so they could just re use some of the parts from the models with the resonator or cat.

Well with the rules in Australia, and the police cracking down harder then ever with mods, and just being over the dump all together, i want to tie it back in. I haven't tied it in on the 3" yet. But at the moment i have 2 mufflers and it's 102 db while the standard limit is 89db. The WG muffler will still be loud compared to the 2 mufflers i've got now. Most people run 1 muffler anyway.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of these things I used to know, but can't recall. I believe that it may have to do with the temperature of the exhaust gas. As it travels rearward, it cools. As it cools, it contracts, and the pressure reduces. So by tying it back in further back, you are doing so in a lower pressure portion of the exhaust system, which will impact the performance less than a high pressure region.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got poo-poo'd for suggesting in a previous thread that I couldn't see how the 951 tie in vs dump could make a measurable difference.

I haven't seen a dyno chart on here that proves either way, but as mentioned in your first post, many claim no difference, and some claim big losses. I just don't buy the big losses. Some even claim gains. I might buy into losses on a dyno queen or 500HP monsters, but still not convinced. A street car with a tie in tube thats 3 feet long is another animal.

I would agree a little spool is sacrificed.

Anyone else read 100s of pages of material only to be a little "on the fence"?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My VE has been increased quite a bit on my engine with the head and cam. My intake had also been honed.

I tied it in today after work. Boy now it's a challenge putting the rear exhaust back on. I'll probably need to ad more Vbands to make my exhaust come apart in more sections to make it easier to work on if needed.

All i can say is it's extremely quiet now on boost. Not use to it. Almost sounds stock so to speak. I can now feel it kick with out a noise. For some reason it feels like it kicks more. Probably not though.

Here's a ****ty picture of what i did.

Quick Reply: Calling up Exhaust experts & Turning/fab experts