Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question on silicone hose..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Question on silicone hose..

I'm in the process of installing a Vitesse stage 3 turbo and need to modify the water pipe. So after a bit of searching I decided to extend the water neck into the turbo with a bit of hose, as seen on one of Lart's pics.

So my question is, what kind of hose should I use as it will be living in a pretty hot environment down there by the turbo...?? I thought a silicone hose was the obvious choice, but when I went to buy one, the guy at shop said that he didn't think it would last, as samco silicone hoses are heat rated at temps up to 170 degrees celcius. (338 degrees fahrenheit)

So what to do..??
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not the same solution you're describing, but this is what I did with my VR stage 2. Thanks again for the writeup, Paulyy.

Check out posts 59, 60, 63, and 74.
http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showth...t=28299&page=4
Old 04-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Motosport
Racer

Yes, Paulyy's work does look very nice and I might go down that route too if I can't find a suitable hose for the purpose.. I just like the hose idea as it gives the hard pipe/temp sensor a little bit of flexibility which could come in handy when assembling everything, even though it looks like there is no fitting problem on Paulyy's car..

I tried to find that pic Lart posted up some time ago with his modified water pipe, but can't find it now of course.. It was done with a short piece of blue hose I remember, it just didn't say what kind of hose was used, and its that information I'm after...

So if anyone knows, please chime in...

Thanks - Alex.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't do the hose unless the pipe has a barb on it so when it's tightened it wont leak, or it'll leak.

My solution (old one which is in the link) was good but it leaked from the hose what went over turbos mouth. so i went full custom. so if you just modify the bottom but like i did, you'll be fine
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Motosport
Racer

Well, I bought another banjo with a barbed pipe to install on the turbo itself, and then cut of the banjo on the water pipe just below the eye leaving the knurled part of the pipe on the temp sensor, which should make a hose fit tightly on both ends. Especially if I use a 12mm ID hose which will fit snuggly on the temp sensor pipe.

So I'm still hoping someone can tell me if its okay to use a silicone hose or not..

But I do like your solution Pauly, and I've written down the information on which hardware to get from your build tread, so that I can take that to my local fabricator in case I can't find a suitable hose..
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can, go to your fab buy and ask him to put a beed around the pipe from the sensor to hold and help seal the hose.

Quick Reply: Question on silicone hose..