Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car wonders on the hwy

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's not forget a simple issue, over inflated tires. Check to make sure the tire pressure is correct.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lex_GTX
Have you done the ball joints?
Not yet. My next list of "fixes" are replace the steering rack(mine is leaking), control arm rebuilt(balljoints, bushings).
Old 04-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts

I am going to check my ball joints. If they need a rebuild I might just get the steel arms from 944online for the 86 944.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vague shifting in the geometry corner to corner sounds like upper Strut Mounts imo. If their original, I'd take that bet.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
The vague shifting in the geometry corner to corner sounds like upper Strut Mounts imo. If their original, I'd take that bet.
What's a good test for them?

I don't want to replace parts just because ... there are lots of original parts on the car I am sure and I just want to replace the ones that have failed.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

What's a good test for them?

I don't want to replace parts just because ... there are lots of original parts on the car I am sure and I just want to replace the ones that have failed.
Since your struts need to be rebuilt that is probably a good enough test for the mounts. I don't think there is much you can do to test them because even if they look OK, they could go bad shortly after you put your new struts in - then you're going to have to go back in there. You have the early ones so they're not too expensive.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a set of the VW Fox mounts to replace your current strut mounts.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Get a set of the VW Fox mounts to replace your current strut mounts.
What year?

Also haven't looked into this but are the M030 mounts interchangeable with non M030?

My mounts look like this and they are not the 2 bolt style VW ones. I should be able to see if they are worn somehow.

Last edited by Lex_GTX; 04-16-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check that your rack is bolted down tight to the crossmember, and that the steering rack bushings are not shot! The fact that you said it is sometimes off to the right and sometimes to the left indicates to me that your rack is moving which can lead to a dangerous failure. I just fixed this same issue on my car and it turns out I had one of the bolts on the driver side holding the rack to the Xmember backed out and was allowing the rack to flex. Also +1 for the VW fox mounts, mine are from a 1990 and cost 13 bucks. They are a bit bigger than the old bearings and dont snap in snug like the stock ones do, but the top hat will force them in place one the suspension is loaded.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Check that your rack is bolted down tight to the crossmember, and that the steering rack bushings are not shot! The fact that you said it is sometimes off to the right and sometimes to the left indicates to me that your rack is moving which can lead to a dangerous failure. I just fixed this same issue on my car and it turns out I had one of the bolts on the driver side holding the rack to the Xmember backed out and was allowing the rack to flex. Also +1 for the VW fox mounts, mine are from a 1990 and cost 13 bucks. They are a bit bigger than the old bearings and dont snap in snug like the stock ones do, but the top hat will force them in place one the suspension is loaded.
Thanks, I did just order some poly bushings for the rack.

For the upper strut mounts are you referring to these VW fox ones? So the bushing comes out of the 4 bolt plate and these replace it?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right you just press the old bearings out of the studded mount plate and press these new ones in, although they wont stay in on their own. The will be loose until the car's weight is put on them.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Reviving this thread.

I replaced the steering rack bushings with poly ones. It feels more solid now. While I was in there I checked by ball joints and they were fine.

I drove some more to get the feel for what is still going on. It feels like as the car picks up speed the steering becomes lighter. And if there are creases or bumps in the highway it will tend to upset it/tramline.

When stationary or at low speed I don't feel play or clunking in the steering wheel. However the steering is too light at higher speeds and this gives it a vague on centre feel.

What are some solutions for heavier steering at higher speeds and better on centre feel?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Reviving this thread.

I replaced the steering rack bushings with poly ones. It feels more solid now. While I was in there I checked by ball joints and they were fine.

I drove some more to get the feel for what is still going on. It feels like as the car picks up speed the steering becomes lighter. And if there are creases or bumps in the highway it will tend to upset it/tramline.

When stationary or at low speed I don't feel play or clunking in the steering wheel. However the steering is too light at higher speeds and this gives it a vague on centre feel.

What are some solutions for heavier steering at higher speeds and better on centre feel?
Check the steering rack itself for free play. I discovered mine has several inches of play at the centre and I'm about to replace it. My symptoms are very similar to yours.

The way I tested this was to get the rack locking bolt from Paragon, use it to lock the rack in the centre, and then check for movement in the input shaft. I found I could still turn the steering wheel at least 1.5 inches each way with the rack locked in place, with no movement in the tie rods at all. This was with brand new steering universal joints. In my case, it was so bad I could actually reach up behind the cross member, grab the u-joint and turn it by hand, with the rack locked.

In all the research I did I never found anyone with this problem, but maybe once people start looking we are going to see more of this...
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Lex_GTX
Racer

Originally Posted by divil
Check the steering rack itself for free play. I discovered mine has several inches of play at the centre and I'm about to replace it. My symptoms are very similar to yours.

The way I tested this was to get the rack locking bolt from Paragon, use it to lock the rack in the centre, and then check for movement in the input shaft. I found I could still turn the steering wheel at least 1.5 inches each way with the rack locked in place, with no movement in the tie rods at all. This was with brand new steering universal joints. In my case, it was so bad I could actually reach up behind the cross member, grab the u-joint and turn it by hand, with the rack locked.

In all the research I did I never found anyone with this problem, but maybe once people start looking we are going to see more of this...
When are you planning on replacing it? Mine has been replaced in the past but with a used unit. I'm interested to hear your results. It can certainly be what you're describing.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

When are you planning on replacing it? Mine has been replaced in the past but with a used unit. I'm interested to hear your results. It can certainly be what you're describing.
Next weekend. I have the rack (rebuilt from Zims), just waiting on tie rod assemblies (those are also slightly loose on on my car, but not the main source of the problem).

BTW It's also worth checking your steering shaft for looseness, the universal joints go bad. If you can just grab it from underneath and try to move it up/down/left/right. There should be no movement. If there is, consider a rebuilt one from http://www.emotorsports.org/.

Quick Reply: Car wonders on the hwy