Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

changing non lsd to lsd

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing non lsd to lsd

is it very difficult to put my lsd unit into a non lsd trans? also my oil cooler onto the non lsd unit?

also there are some ring and pinion sets on ebay...lightly used of course. should i go that route(rebuild with the used r&p set?).

thanks guys,

adam
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
67King
Race Car

Setting lash is a PITA. With an LSD, you don't have to deal with the pinion adjustment, just the ring gear location, making it not as bad. Chaging a R&P out is a major undertaking. The toolds requjired to do it correctly cost more than it would to have it rebuilt.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

fwiw
Quaife=$1000
paying to have Greg Brown go through the trans replaced all the syncros, 2nd and 3rd gear and setup the diff $1200. You can't wing it on a trans job.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 AM
67King
Race Car

Just saw I forgot the trans cooler. You'd need a drive gear that is specific to the LSD, and those are NLA. If you've got one, you should be good. If you don't, good luck. There is a guy who is trying to make some, and trying to find some people to carry them. When I spoke to him, I suggested he contact Lindsey Racing to see if they'd carry them. I'd give them a call.

The other option is an aftermarket one with an electric pump. I'd planned to do that with mine when I switched to an S2 LSD, as much because you can't access the coil overs as anything. But with the positive feedback we've gotten from the Milllers gear oil in lowering temperatures, I'm holding off. I've got a temp probe in my trans case now, will see how it fares on Friday.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
apitts73
Racer

thanks guys,

so im not sure which way im going to go....buy good used one and ship it to canada or get one of my 2 trans rebuilt here for $2000. dont like the sound of $2000...but i dont want it to crap out on me again after 500 miles!!

"fwiw
Quaife=$1000
paying to have Greg Brown go through the trans replaced all the syncros, 2nd and 3rd gear and setup the diff $1200. You can't wing it on a trans job. "

Greg Brown...where is he....and $1200...that doesn't include the R&P?

"The other option is an aftermarket one with an electric pump. I'd planned to do that with mine when I switched to an S2 LSD, as much because you can't access the coil overs as anything. But with the positive feedback we've gotten from the Milllers gear oil in lowering temperatures, I'm holding off. I've got a temp probe in my trans case now, will see how it fares on Friday."

for normal hard driving on the street or DE events....do you think a trans without the cooler is fine?
i dont think i want to go through changing gears just for the oil cooler...might as well go through the whole trans.
there is a shop in british columbia here that will refresh without the R&P for $1200.....but i dont want to pay another $1000 for the R&P too!! but i guess i might have to.

still on the fence though...will think about it a couple more days.

just quickly on another topic...i pay alot to have a motor built and right from the start has an oil pan gasket leak.....what do you think would be fair compensation from the motor builder...besides a free oil pan gasket??

again thanks for all the info.

adam

Quick Reply: changing non lsd to lsd