Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is using EGT's to tune with? Especially 4 of them.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Fair enough, you might be right about response time being limited with a closed type sensor like the r1000 which might be an issue if you want to use the input for trim as opposed to just tuning and logging. Don't know about temperature though, do you need to see more than 1000C? I thought tuners aimed to keep temperatures well below that?

I know Motec also sell open ended sensors and amplifiers if you need them. I guess it just comes down to price as to what product to use.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes motec sell everything, but there is always value if you want to look around. 1000C is a bit hot, but you want the sensor to be able to read it. I have melted a few cheap turbine housings.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
When you say your headers are tapped for four WB sensors, are you referring to WBO2 sensors? Do you get a good reading straight out of the head? No heat issues? Longevity? Sorry, just curious.
Standard Bosch WBO2 LSU 4.2 sensors. Bungs are in the header pipes about an inch and a half from the flange. I haven't had any problems with the sensors themselves.

I have had problems with flaky Innovate LC1 units where the analog out signals fail, but they are well away from the engine so it's not a heat issue. Still get good digital readings even when the analog signals fail, but it's apparently a common problem with LC1s. There are better products than the Innovate LC1s and I plan to get rid of them. AEM have a 4 channel wideband controller which looks good and Motec now have some elegant solutions for linking multiple lambda sensors.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting, thank you!

Quick Reply: Who is using EGT's to tune with? Especially 4 of them.