Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.1l 16v turbo 91 mm stroker dry sump build

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 04:40 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'd be inquiring more about his liver!! Too much partying for old Dukey boy!
How do you know he's already got only one left...

Duke, did you try increasing peak values in the RPM limit table?
I could be wrong but I got the feeling from playing with the G4 software on another car that the algorithm for the RPM limit kicks in earlier in the RPM range the faster the engine spins and/or the higher the load, which should be the case under peak boost.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
How do you know he's already got only one left...

Duke, did you try increasing peak values in the RPM limit table?
I could be wrong but I got the feeling from playing with the G4 software on another car that the algorithm for the RPM limit kicks in earlier in the RPM range the faster the engine spins and/or the higher the load, which should be the case under peak boost.
Yes yes, I've tried and tweaked basically everything. I've never seen that behaviour with the G4, the rpm limit works good without load which is the quickest way to raise the rpm's quickly.

I havent scoped the trigger signal under load but it's perfect without load to 7500 rpm. Just had the crank sensor mount reworked to take a newer type crank sensor which gives a cleaner signal. Next test is in 7 days.

So far I've had issues with injectors, fuel pressure regulator, variocam unit etc and all of them intermittent and giving weird results. Was driving me crazy for a while!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
You know me too well! I've burned more ethanol than the car the last month or so

I've had all kinds of weird issues and none of them is related to the bottom end. So the stroker is working perfect! 2 things still on the table to fix. The weird "soft rpm limiter" above 6000 rpm while on boost and I noticed on the last shakedown that I need to gear down the oil pump to get higher oil pressure.
Will write some more later on.
The same thing happened to my Link ecu. ended up being the ref sensors and the load maps the way it was detecting boost.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:46 PM
kont5u
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shawn!

1. We have not designed the pistons with this in mind. Similar valve pockets as stock.
2. I don't have this spec written down. The shop assembled the crank and did some measurements after the crank was done and concluded it was fine. It was then balanced as the final touch.
3. No. I had the bearings coated in my last 3.0l 16v turbo and that damn 2nd rod bearing went south anyway
These bearings should be much better than the stock ones and being a race engine it won't see many miles in 1 season. Will most likely replace the bearings every season just to be sure.
4. No deckplate. The siameseed block, the large head studs and the pinned girdle should be plenty stable. Had no issues at 514 rwhp with this setup in the past. (But a deckplate wouldn't hurt though!)
The 104 blocks are siamesed this way from the factory. The floor is also higher up so there is less of the pistons that are free standing compared to a 100 mm block.
Hi Duke. I feel I couldn't find an answer to whether you used deck plate while machining the cylinders? What diameter did the sleeves have that you fitted into the bored cylinders? I guess it's a PITA trying to find a deck plate with sufficient bore size to use while working on the 3,0 l block.

Last edited by kont5u; 12-22-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.1l 16v turbo 91 mm stroker dry sump build