Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Logger/Tuner Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the full Monty, but got sent back to Asia before I could install it. I will post the results if I can ever get back to Cali. However, being here allows me to buy more stuff like this so I am not complaining.
Plus building two of these bad boys at the same time gets pricey! I got hit by the tax bug too, cutting a $16K check next week, ouch! Could have been a whole lot of HP or bling there.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
This is what i came up with, If more people can send me a dyno and a logged run, I can get a more accurate graph.

Shawn sent me 2 logs one from the 350 hp run and the other from the 410 hp run.

Some pretty big variation in the two curves. I am not 100% sure I have the right log files for the specific dyno charts. Pretty sure but I can not say 100%. We need more data for sure.

Also, what variables result in differences? Dyno variations for sure. AFR would have an impact. What else?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Some pretty big variation in the two curves. I am not 100% sure I have the right log files for the specific dyno charts. Pretty sure but I can not say 100%. We need more data for sure.

Also, what variables result in differences? Dyno variations for sure. AFR would have an impact. What else?
The chart is a good starting point though. It did okay getting a torque curve out of my logs.

The differences would be the weather, humidity & Heat

Josh would have to confirm this though, as i thought the MAF voltage should equal HP consistently, and the only thing that changes is the dyno itself. i know weather changed power output and i think that'll affect the maf voltage also.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

MAF voltage is going to show airflow.
While airflow is part of the determining factor for HP/Tq, it isn't the only one. Fuel type, AFR, ignition timing, compression ratio, AITs, coolant temps, ect, all come into play.

Airflow is good for comparing changes. Using it to compare different setups, it needs to be more of a generalization.

Cool thread btw!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
MAF voltage is going to show airflow.
While airflow is part of the determining factor for HP/Tq, it isn't the only one. Fuel type, AFR, ignition timing, compression ratio, AITs, coolant temps, ect, all come into play.

Airflow is good for comparing changes. Using it to compare different setups, it needs to be more of a generalization.

Cool thread btw!
The great thing is that if we can get a decent enough chart (not sure how liner the voltage vs airflow the maf is) you can turn that into HP and use it as a custom look up table for your logger. I exported it into excel, put the formular to get torque out of it and came up with a torque curve. Now i can see how my motor performs and also see where the peak torque is and how it flows with out going to a dyno. The numbers won't be accurate but the curve should be close.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The great thing is that if we can get a decent enough chart (not sure how liner the voltage vs airflow the maf is) you can turn that into HP and use it as a custom look up table for your logger. I exported it into excel, put the formular to get torque out of it and came up with a torque curve. Now i can see how my motor performs and also see where the peak torque is and how it flows with out going to a dyno. The numbers won't be accurate but the curve should be close.
Agreed, and good idea!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok back on topic....

Where did you guys mount the logger box?

I was thinking of tucking it behind the DME and just running the USB cable out (which is how I have the box for the tuner routed) but I noticed that we got a lot more wire with the logger than the tuner. I could mount the logger elsewhere (plus, with the tuner and that stupid alarm module it's pretty crowded now behind the DME).

Where'd you mount yours?

I was also thinking about perhaps removing one of the "blanks" in the center console and figuring out a way to mount USB receptacles. (refresh - didn't you do something similar with your below-the-radio faceplate?)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok back on topic....

Where did you guys mount the logger box?

I was thinking of tucking it behind the DME and just running the USB cable out (which is how I have the box for the tuner routed) but I noticed that we got a lot more wire with the logger than the tuner. I could mount the logger elsewhere (plus, with the tuner and that stupid alarm module it's pretty crowded now behind the DME).

Where'd you mount yours?

I was also thinking about perhaps removing one of the "blanks" in the center console and figuring out a way to mount USB receptacles. (refresh - didn't you do something similar with your below-the-radio faceplate?)
Jim,

I just tucked the box in with the DME and ran the USB cable out. My plan is to have the logger running most of the time so I did not want that cable coming out of the console. In fact I really did not mount the logger box, it is really light so it is just setting in by the DME.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok thanks Shawn. That's most likely how I'll do it, was just wondering if some other folks got creative. The USB cable for the tuner just sits under the floor mat right now. I might see if I can fit 2 USB's in a blank on the console if I get bored one weekend.

I'd love to run the logger full time but I don't want my laptop kicking around in the car. I guess this could make a good case for installing an LCD screen in the dash and burying a netbook somewhere...
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok so I did a little testing last night. Verdict: I love this thing.

I now realize how much I missed having a datalogger. Every one of my past project cars, aside from the 951, I've had some sort of logger available - even back to my old Omni's.

It would be nice to have knock, TPS, and vehicle speed... though I understand these fields don't come into the DME, hence their absence. Just sayin'... it would be nice. I can infer vehicle speed via some quick Excel work with gear ratios and RPM.

One thing I did notice: it looks like I may have some wiring harness issues (?) I noticed that I have 12 cells (out of ~12,000) in the log I took that show a random, single-cell spike in the WOT field when I most definitely wasn't at WOT. One was at idle, even, as I was sitting at a light. Since the TPS is recent-ish (2 years old or so, ~30k miles) I wonder if the harness is picking up noise or something. All the more reason to build a fresh harness for this thing.

Question for users here... I haven't messed with it (and don't have the software up and running at my desk) but something I couldn't quickly decipher:
- Is there a way to "mark" a log file as it's recording, for quick reference later when reviewing things?
- I noticed, during log playback while in TunerPro, that the little slider seems to "jump" in large increments. How can I move around during playback, frame-by-frame?
- How about setting up a trigger, to start logging when "x" trigger happens?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Josh certainly will be more specific, but from memory, you open a logged file from the top menu under "acquire".

When your done logging a session, just name the log file when you go to close that window.

I wish it was a few months ago, I could tell you right off. Memory...sucks
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blown 944
Josh certainly will be more specific, but from memory, you open a logged file from the top menu under "acquire".

When your done logging a session, just name the log file when you go to close that window.

I wish it was a few months ago, I could tell you right off. Memory...sucks
Thanks Sid - but I don't think I was clear

I want to be able to have a marker placed in the file as I am logging.

So, for example.. when looking for an intermittent issue, I'll have the logger run, then go drive the car. Maybe I drive it for 30 minutes before the issue happens. I want to be able to drive with the logger running, and when the intermittent issue happens, hit a key or button so that, in the log file, a mark is left, somehow, so that when I review the 75,000 rows of logger data, I can find the record where the issue started to happen quickly.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM
blown 944
Race Car

I see. Kind of like how I review my drag racing files. I can see when I do a burnout and then it prompts me to start looking for the launch.

Josh would need to answer that one. BTW, logging knock is in the works, along with a few other things. Hopefully we can get a traction control done for me this year.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I *did* figure out how to move forward/backward with the replay 1 frame at a time (or 10 frames)... it's the [ and ] (and shift+) keys.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Don't get me wrong, though... this thing is cool. My dad stopped by tonight an was checking it out. It's not common to see stuff that's nice and high tech like this for older cars. The stuff I had for my Omni was all done via this old MPSI tool that was all text based.

And the best part is that it's not vaporware

Quick Reply: Rogue Logger/Tuner Discussion