Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PJR1976
Originally I was thinking Spec 3 but I am not sure I like the sounds of how it engages as 90% of my driving will be on the road and in traffic. Thoughts and suggestions?
Get a full faced clutch disc that has a Marcel spring. The Spec does not have a Marcel spring that is why it engages so quickly and does not like to be slipped. Great for drag racing, not so good for driving in rush hour.

To answer about the hybrid disc. I had a stage one but they are available in every disc compound they produce.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul:

I have two of these, but can't comment yet. Then one at LR is installed but never driven. Bought that setup so long ago I can't even remember what type it is. It does have Spec lightened steel flywheel an pressure plate though. The CA car has all the latest with the all aluminum versions but I have been too lazy to install yet. Hopefully I can give you an update soon!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Paul:

I have two of these, but can't comment yet. Then one at LR is installed but never driven. Bought that setup so long ago I can't even remember what type it is. It does have Spec lightened steel flywheel an pressure plate though. The CA car has all the latest with the all aluminum versions but I have been too lazy to install yet. Hopefully I can give you an update soon!
You'll like the set up, If you're curious, do some searched on google with your set up, a lot of people use the same set up and love it. It just takes a little time to get it ran in
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

This is what the spec clutch disc looked like when I pulled it out of the 968 engine. Note the cracking and how the friction ring is not well attached to the hub.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Spec stage 2+ in my '88 TS and it has performed well over last two years since install with a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel. I did have a problem with chatter during uptake in reverse and 1st gear, which has gone away after installing new cv joints and filling the stock trans mount with polyurethane. I track my car regularly. Mike
Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a spec 3 hybrid with the lightweight pp, it was smooth to drive but the organic side of the disc started to slip after 1 summer so i changed the organic side to 6 pucks also.
http://www.garaget.org/mypage/galler...7&image=869754

http://www.garaget.org/mypage/galler...7&image=904340

I did have alot of shatter in the beginning but now it´s ok and is holding my power
Next time i change i will go with the full metal disc from spec, corleone had it in his car and it was really nice to drive
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
This is what the spec clutch disc looked like when I pulled it out of the 968 engine. Note the cracking and how the friction ring is not well attached to the hub.

ouch!

Originally Posted by DLS
I had a spec 3 hybrid with the lightweight pp, it was smooth to drive but the organic side of the disc started to slip after 1 summer so i changed the organic side to 6 pucks also.
http://www.garaget.org/mypage/galler...7&image=869754

http://www.garaget.org/mypage/galler...7&image=904340

I did have alot of shatter in the beginning but now it´s ok and is holding my power
Next time i change i will go with the full metal disc from spec, corleone had it in his car and it was really nice to drive
i thought that would be more harsh on engagement?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes it´s a little bit trickier to drive slow with it and i don´t like stop and go at to many stoplights in a row

Or did you mean the full metal disc?
no corleones car didn´t not shatter like a 6 puck disc at all
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DLS
yes it´s a little bit trickier to drive slow with it and i don´t like stop and go at to many stoplights in a row

Or did you mean the full metal disc?
no corleones car didn´t not shatter like a 6 puck disc at all
Sorry I was talking about corleones full metallic disc,

I find it weird that the 3/4/6 puck discs chatter when there's less friction area.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Update:

Loving it still! city driving, mountain driving, full throttle driving. Doesn't chatter.
occasionally it will but with some smooth engagement you'll pass it very easily.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Update:

Loving it still! city driving, mountain driving, full throttle driving. Doesn't chatter.
occasionally it will but with some smooth engagement you'll pass it very easily.
And apparently still driving on the wrong side of the road?

I've just decided to go with the Spec 3+ after reading these reviews (and many others). If I didn't need the clamping power I'd consider something more "streetable", but the final destination of this car is the track. It's an '89 944 S2 waiting for a turbo charger. I just bought it (with a bad clutch) and want to track it before the turbo install to look for other kinks that will need attention. Didn't want to do two clutch jobs in the same year...
Old 10-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
And apparently still driving on the wrong side of the road?

I've just decided to go with the Spec 3+ after reading these reviews (and many others). If I didn't need the clamping power I'd consider something more "streetable", but the final destination of this car is the track. It's an '89 944 S2 waiting for a turbo charger. I just bought it (with a bad clutch) and want to track it before the turbo install to look for other kinks that will need attention. Didn't want to do two clutch jobs in the same year...
I'm on the 'right' side of the road,

The clutch is quite streetable. give your self a day to get use to it though.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a spec stage 2 on my 924S with their light weight flywheel and pressure plate, the clutch was great on the track, clean shifts, good engagement... It SUUUCKED to use in traffic or stop lights, it didn't like to be ridden and would shudder. But once outta first gear it was great.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I'm on the 'right' side of the road,

The clutch is quite streetable. give your self a day to get use to it though.
Lookin' forward to it! I'd even figured on more than a day. I just talked to Spec, I'm not certain if I need a sprung or unsprung clutch plate. They say they need to know what the stock plate is, then match it. I thought the stock plate was sprung, but looking at the PET I don't see any springs. I haven't taken it out yet, I was going to order parts first.

Any clues? '89 944 S2, stock drivetrain.

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 10-17-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast924S
I had a spec stage 2 on my 924S with their light weight flywheel and pressure plate, the clutch was great on the track, clean shifts, good engagement... It SUUUCKED to use in traffic or stop lights, it didn't like to be ridden and would shudder. But once outta first gear it was great.
I've heard this criticism from many people and not just folks using the Spec clutches. Changing the flywheel weight seems to be the major issue; quite a few of the more engineering oriented folks who've tried it say that a flywheel weighing less than 16 lbs is a very bad idea. Some have corrected it by adding a heavier harmonic balancer on the front of the crank, which in my opinion seems to defeat the purpose of a light weight flywheel.

Given the number of people who've complained about it's performance, I've decided to not experiment with an aluminium flywheel at this stage of the build, instead I'm planning to resurface and balance the stock flywheel. I need to be able to drive the car safely between my shop and the track, which is only 50 miles from me (Laguna Seca).

I have heard success stories from people who've used 16lb flywheels, They're hard to find, one person described them as "hen's teeth". Some of have said a decent lightweight FW for the S2 can run as much as $2000 if purchased from someone who really understands the engine. That's a bit too exotic for me at this point.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review