Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dutch944
I can only say one thing that needs to be said here:

Nord-Lock

This washer will make anyone who ever needs a secure fitment which never backs out very happy!
Amazing what you can learn about on here. Looks like another great product, first I have heard of them. I will try this in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Amazing what you can learn about on here. Looks like another great product, first I have heard of them. I will try this in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.
Your welcome! I've been using them for a couple of years now. As well at work on generators (cooling lines seem to try to run loose) and at the Pcar. On both occasions i've never had one running loose and each time the are harder to loosen than to fasten!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only say one thing that needs to be said here:

Nord-Lock

This washer will make anyone who ever needs a secure fitment which never backs out very happy!
Took your advice. bought several sets in several sizes. also planning on using on those pesky turbo bolts that always loosen up.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

You can aways drill a small hole on the side of the nut (not going though the thread) and thread wire though it and tie it to another nut with a hole. This helps nuts not backing off. same with the bolts.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Took your advice. bought several sets in several sizes. also planning on using on those pesky turbo bolts that always loosen up.
Nice going! I just took my brakecalipers off last weekend, they've been on there for about 2 years and the bolts were still hard to get off (as in, they were very securely tightened!)

Originally Posted by Paulyy
You can aways drill a small hole on the side of the nut (not going though the thread) and thread wire though it and tie it to another nut with a hole. This helps nuts not backing off. same with the bolts.
That is always a good option, but i dont like the idea of messing the integrety of the bolts/nuts. I don't know what happens when i drill a hole in a bolt/nut with the strength of it!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

That is always a good option, but i dont like the idea of messing the integrety of the bolts/nuts. I don't know what happens when i drill a hole in a bolt/nut with the strength of it!
Considering it's THE standard in aviation maintenance and safety, I'd guess not much.

I safety wired the bolts for my wastegate. That was 7 years ago.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Many of the bolts I tighten up at work are drilled and lock-wired. Also when working with my friends race bike many of the bolts were drilled and safety wired.

We have a lock-wire standard and training course for tech's at work. It does nothing to the holding strength of the fastener. Lock-wiring must be done properly however.....and it's 22:52 at night....I need to go to sleep

Nice going! I just took my brakecalipers off last weekend, they've been on there for about 2 years and the bolts were still hard to get off (as in, they were very securely tightened!)

Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 3 piece crossmember for a few years, now. It was one I made, myself, rather than the Lindsey one. I've noticed in that period of time that one bolt started getting loose. I retightened it. Honestly, if you track a car, it is a good idea to get underneath it and check things out on a pretty regular basis, anyway. That's just one more thing to check.

I've heard a time or two about them cracking. That is a concern with ANY welded component, especially aluminum. But I would expect it would last a long time before it would become an issue.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 AM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my new 3pc in will look into those fancy nuts .sounds like a good idea . My car is for street use so prob not needed but still wanted
Old 05-28-2013, 04:58 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Many of the bolts I tighten up at work are drilled and lock-wired. Also when working with my friends race bike many of the bolts were drilled and safety wired.

We have a lock-wire standard and training course for tech's at work. It does nothing to the holding strength of the fastener. Lock-wiring must be done properly however.....and it's 22:52 at night....I need to go to sleep
Well, that pretty much says enough for me than! But for example on the brake calipers, there is not really a place to get the wiring to, i've been using nord-locks for those as well! Also for the rear shock absorbers!

Originally Posted by 67King
Had a 3 piece crossmember for a few years, now. It was one I made, myself, rather than the Lindsey one. I've noticed in that period of time that one bolt started getting loose. I retightened it. Honestly, if you track a car, it is a good idea to get underneath it and check things out on a pretty regular basis, anyway. That's just one more thing to check.

I've heard a time or two about them cracking. That is a concern with ANY welded component, especially aluminum. But I would expect it would last a long time before it would become an issue.

I've been thinking of making one myself as well.. First have to buy a house and get a bridge in the garage.. Or maybe i will just pro-lengthen the 3.0 16v turbo project to do it right away.. Hmmzz..

When cracking; you're weld wasn't properly constructed.. That's the case 9 out of 10 times.. The other time you do have so much vibration but than also your normal crossmember would break i guess..

Quick Reply: 3pc crossover for track?