Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Destroking a 951 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Destroking a 951 engine

So this is probably going to seem way out of left field with all the recent development of stroker motors, but has anybody ever thought about destroking a 951? Not that I plan to do this, but I'm just curious of the potential. Right away I see oiling issues and cylinder stability being a limiting factor. Closed deck, iron sleeves bored to 105.5, crank with 68 mm stroke, lightweight pistons and rods. Yields an engine only 6 CI smaller than stock with a bore/stroke ratio up there with the best motorcycle engines, and a rod ratio much better than stock with less piston velocity and acceleration and less stress on the rods and rod bearings. Top it with a great flowing head with oversize valves and upgraded valve springs, an awesome cam, and excellent intake and exhaust manifolds. What could such an engine do? Probably blow up unless it was dry sumped, but I'm sure it would have great throttle response and if you could spin it high, I'm sure it would make some sick power even if it lacked low end torque.

Quick Reply: Destroking a 951 engine