Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Batter Tender Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batter Tender Jr.

The 951 was dead for the first time since I've owned it recently. Lately after sitting for extended periods she has been slow cranking and the battery is within two years old.

Anyway I'd always heard these "Battery Tenders" were a good idea. The Jr. model is designed for personal watercraft, tractors, motorcycles, etc. and I also observed for compact cars. Since the battery really isn't weak and I just want to safely keep the charge up I took a chance on the inexpensive "Jr." version.

I installed it using the supplied hard wired jumper (I can reach through the cowl to plug and unplug!). After sitting on the charger for the last few days I hit the starter yesterday and she cranked faster then it has for a long time.

I purchased two (a second for my Cherokee and/or my son's Corvette) and btw paid only $19.95 each.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

With seven cars and eight motorcycles, I have a battery problem!
I have been using battery tenders for many years, (I have several) with excellent results.
The best thing about them is you can leave them plugged in forever without the risk of overcharging. Just plug in and forget.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been using these for years. They are a must for a car that is not started for a while
Yes, its no where near the quality of what you bought but on sale they are 4.99 Can't beat that with a stick
http://www.harborfreight.com/automat...ger-42292.html
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I keep one on my my race car, also used for keeping the trailer winch battery charged.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the harbor freight one as well. It has brought a few of my battery back to life.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Of course I assumed many of you used these (or similar models). The main reason I posted was that I felt the Jr. model (i.e. cheaper!) seems like a great choice and is doing what I had hoped for.

My last toy (SB Chevy powered 280z) was always draining batterys, I would trickle ccharge it some here and there but that proibably wasn't helping battery life...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racerxrick
Of course I assumed many of you used these (or similar models). The main reason I posted was that I felt the Jr. model (i.e. cheaper!) seems like a great choice and is doing what I had hoped for.

My last toy (SB Chevy powered 280z) was always draining batterys, I would trickle ccharge it some here and there but that proibably wasn't helping battery life...
Wow.... Would have loved a ride it that ...
I had a 1978 Z car ... took it to 100000 miles and had to part with it when I bought the love of my life
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The 951 was dead for the first time since I've owned it recently. Lately after sitting for extended periods she has been slow cranking and the battery is within two years old.

Anyway I'd always heard these "Battery Tenders" were a good idea. The Jr. model is designed for personal watercraft, tractors, motorcycles, etc. and I also observed for compact cars. Since the battery really isn't weak and I just want to safely keep the charge up I took a chance on the inexpensive "Jr." version.

I installed it using the supplied hard wired jumper (I can reach through the cowl to plug and unplug!). After sitting on the charger for the last few days I hit the starter yesterday and she cranked faster then it has for a long time.

I purchased two (a second for my Cherokee and/or my son's Corvette) and btw paid only $19.95 each.
Where did you get them at that price? PM me if you would, thanks.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Wow.... Would have loved a ride it that ...
I had a 1978 Z car ... took it to 100000 miles and had to part with it when I bought the love of my life
haha...yeah it was fun on the cheap. I called it my Corvette Killer. She ran 11.60's on plain ol' radials. Very basic 350 with a 150 shot of nitrous and a 700r4. The engine was mounted low and all the way back (the HEI was within a 1/2" of the firewall). Was a great sleeper...flat hood with twin snorkels ducted to the spoiler fog light openings and had two turbo mufflers stacked on the same side as the stock exhaust.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm, been wanting to get one of those b-tenders so I am glad this topic came up. Might make a trip to the local harbor freight to pick one up this weekend.

Like the Z, very old school. I love the long hood and short overhang aka the 951.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

haha...yeah it was fun on the cheap. I called it my Corvette Killer. She ran 11.60's on plain ol' radials. Very basic 350 with a 150 shot of nitrous and a 700r4. The engine was mounted low and all the way back (the HEI was within a 1/2" of the firewall). Was a great sleeper...flat hood with twin snorkels ducted to the spoiler fog light openings and had two turbo mufflers stacked on the same side as the stock exhaust.
Sweet
Mine was bone stock motor ( except cosmetically outside treatments)
I have to dig up a picture ... Yea back in those days nothing digital...

Quick Reply: Batter Tender Jr.