Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Uuuugh - coolant leak again?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Uuuugh - coolant leak again?!?

After being down for 5 months for a new headgasket and a bunch of while you're in there stuff I was really, really eager to finally get her back together again and start her up. Started right up, ran her for ~minute then checked things out and added more coolant, started her up again and then noticed some water from below the radiator so shut down again. Coolant was dripping from the bottom radiator support bracket on the passenger side, but I could see the bracket was wet on the driver side too just not dripping from there. I couldn't find any leaks from the hoses or other attachments. I also couldn't find water running from any other connection points and it wasn't leaking when I tore her apart.

Sooo, there are 4 'spiggots' on the driver side of the radiator (small hose to coolant tank, larger hose to the head, thermo switch, drain plug) and 2 on the passenger's side (upper to metal tubing and lower to water pump). If I can't find a leak from one of those, I assume it must be the radiator... Which is a used unit I just put in recently too. Sooo, sooo wanted to take her for a drive.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Hang in there man. Do you have a coolant pressure tester? If not you can borrow one from AutoZone. It helps a lot in finding leaks.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Hang in there man. Do you have a coolant pressure tester? If not you can borrow one from AutoZone. It helps a lot in finding leaks.
Ditto
Its the only real way to find the leaks
Ask me how I know ... Thanks to Tom once again
I thought I was all sealed up and then I saw the Radiator that had only 47K miles on it must have lost its internal, end tank rubber seal. Man, I was pissed.
That radiator was otherwise in mint condition .. ( one thing you have to watch out for is over tightening those screws that set the radiator from the top... That can cause that plastic end tank to distort
It's a good thing I bought that Griffin Radiator in the Group Buy years ago ... But I had to pull out everything all over again ... Then after that, the pressure tester showed 3 to 4 leaks .. one that usually shows up is the Black or White plastic fitting that comes off the water pump. It usually warps and is prone to leaking
Good luck
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 02-28-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good points above, BTDT... several times. And watch carefully how the clamp next to the framerail is oriented, if it can vibrate against the rail, the radiator will eventually fail there - or at least that was my theory....Bruce
Old 02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend who has a vette called me to check out a radiator leak. It initially looked like the leak was coming from the core which seemed like it needed replacement. Turns out after using the pressure tester it was leaking from the top hose mount clamp. Easy fix but could not see the leak without it.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I now always pressure test the system every time I open up the cooling system. It just saves so much time. It's possible the radiator has a leak but odds are good that it's any one of a million other places. The pressure tester is like gps for leaks -- saves hours of hunting. Sears sells them too...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ditto on the pressure tester. I was sure I had a leaky radiator and/or a dying head gasket because I was losing coolant, but never saw any on the ground. Turns out it was leaking from the hose clamp on the bottom of the coolant tank that connects to the water crossover. These cars cooling systems can leak from 1000 different places and you will never locate them all by eye.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Yep, believe I got the same pressure tester Shawn has from Autozone. Busy last night and tonight, hope to get back to it Fri evening. Going to pressure test before I pull anything. Just wanted to be driving instead of wrenching...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Yep, believe I got the same pressure tester Shawn has from Autozone. Busy last night and tonight, hope to get back to it Fri evening. Going to pressure test before I pull anything. Just wanted to be driving instead of wrenching...
in my experience i have seen radiators starting to leak after being dry for a long time, I assumed that it was the seals where the plastic meets the aluminum, and I have witness radiators that stopped leaking after a couple heat cycles the gasket swells again and seals by itself, run a few heat cycles see what happens.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
in my experience i have seen radiators starting to leak after being dry for a long time, I assumed that it was the seals where the plastic meets the aluminum, and I have witness radiators that stopped leaking after a couple heat cycles the gasket swells again and seals by itself, run a few heat cycles see what happens.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to that, but I had a bit of a leak so not sure I wanted that antifreeze flowing all over the place until the leak sealed, but it would have been nice to save it ...
Mine was dry for at least 4 years ...
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
I was wondering/thinking the same thing on the seals, as far as why it was leaking. Mine's not gushing out, but it's definitely more of a flow than just drops. If it's not too much of a mess, maybe I will heat cycle a few times and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Uuuugh - coolant leak again?!?