Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another Swedish 944/968 with 996 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually, more how long did the guy in the thread spend. I know Duke's car was built like this before he got his so I thought to ask the guy with the 968 how long he spent swapping his over.

Tony's front end could be duplicated but not the rear. We all don't have the luxury of that rear tube frame layout.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why it still has a four banger.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

awesome car, now if I could only read Swedish! Maybe Elin could help?
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusrotty
I don't understand why it still has a four banger.
I would assume it's because it's a Porsche and he wants to keep it that way..
Old 02-26-2013, 05:27 AM
Henka
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a presentation of the car and the driver, it's not something he's written himself - hence a picture of the driver/builder is mandatory, not "kind of gay". Remarks like that are just....sad... but anyway...

The car was initially built for the swedish porsche club racing series. Rules state that it has to be all Porsche - the choice of engines is quite slim. Add to that the fact that car weight is based on engine output. The car was built for a certain class so power/to weight and "all Porsche" sort of forced him to go stock 968.

The car will also, hopefully, race in the swedish sportscar championship, class Modsport 2. In modsport, you can choose either a "standard" engine or "modified". If you go for a standard engine, it has to be bone stock from the throttle to the exhaust gasket, the rest is basically free. If you go for a modified engine, the engine output is determined by a theoretic model - for instance, the standard 968 is regarded as 240hp and a "modified" 3l 16v engine with fuel injection is regarded as 330hp. This is really the death sentence for tuned naturally Porsche engines since NONE of them ever reach more than 100hp/ltr not matter what you do to them. Or, at least there has never been a documented case in Sweden that I know of where a naturally aspirated in line 4 cylinder Porsche engine has reached even 90hk/ltr.

He's not a professional builder, he's built this in his sparetime. I can ask the guys how long it took, the suspension conversion, he's sitting like a couple of desks away from me. Front suspension is also a bit special since that too came off a GT3 Cup car.

Duke's car was built by a proffesional and compared to this 968, it's really the front suspension that is the marvel. Dual A-arms, basically everything custombuilt. Really shows the potential of suspension, I mean the lap time Duke's car set on skinny 205's Yoko A048's are just mindblowing. Back then, the car ran a Volvo 2.5ltr red-block, roughly 250hp.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 AM
fred27
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I respect the engineering and work he put into the suspension. Wonder how he worked out the roll centres, etc?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Henka
Cruisin'

Actually, the roll center height will be maintained compared to a 996 GT3 Cup, both fore and aft. The car is built a bit lower than a 968, quite like Duke's car. But yes, the tricky part is getting the rear suspension at the right height in the car - or rather getting the car to sit at the right height over the suspension. Then again, since it's a race car, the suspension travel is quite limited and the change in camber/track etc. are manageble even if you don't get it absolutly right.

The 996 has a wider track and that limits how wide wheels you can run with a stock body. I think he's running Gt3 Cup wheels both front and rear actually. The tires are like 240mm or 260mm wide.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Henrik, I assume most of the guys from US are used to see really, really cool and "manly" car poses like this. Now this guy is obviously a real bad ***.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Usually in power-to-weight based classes of racing, it may have to stay all Porsche, but it doesn't have to be 4 cylinders. Thus the engine selection is quite large.

A 928 S4 V8 would fit in there very nicely and could be easily restricted to what ever power level he needs giving allowing him to max out his class (but with a much broader torque curve).

It is a very nice car though.

TonyG

Originally Posted by Henka
It's a presentation of the car and the driver, it's not something he's written himself - hence a picture of the driver/builder is mandatory, not "kind of gay". Remarks like that are just....sad... but anyway...

The car was initially built for the swedish porsche club racing series. Rules state that it has to be all Porsche - the choice of engines is quite slim. Add to that the fact that car weight is based on engine output. The car was built for a certain class so power/to weight and "all Porsche" sort of forced him to go stock 968.

The car will also, hopefully, race in the swedish sportscar championship, class Modsport 2. In modsport, you can choose either a "standard" engine or "modified". If you go for a standard engine, it has to be bone stock from the throttle to the exhaust gasket, the rest is basically free. If you go for a modified engine, the engine output is determined by a theoretic model - for instance, the standard 968 is regarded as 240hp and a "modified" 3l 16v engine with fuel injection is regarded as 330hp. This is really the death sentence for tuned naturally Porsche engines since NONE of them ever reach more than 100hp/ltr not matter what you do to them. Or, at least there has never been a documented case in Sweden that I know of where a naturally aspirated in line 4 cylinder Porsche engine has reached even 90hk/ltr.

He's not a professional builder, he's built this in his sparetime. I can ask the guys how long it took, the suspension conversion, he's sitting like a couple of desks away from me. Front suspension is also a bit special since that too came off a GT3 Cup car.

Duke's car was built by a proffesional and compared to this 968, it's really the front suspension that is the marvel. Dual A-arms, basically everything custombuilt. Really shows the potential of suspension, I mean the lap time Duke's car set on skinny 205's Yoko A048's are just mindblowing. Back then, the car ran a Volvo 2.5ltr red-block, roughly 250hp.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

996 parts in a 944? To go faster?

I hope my 911 friends never, ever, see this.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Henka
Back then, the car ran a Volvo 2.5ltr red-block, roughly 250hp.
This I'd like to know more about.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I think it's a fantastic build and big congratulations to him for doing this basically in his own garage. Now I'm jealous of 3 cars for their suspension (apart from many other aspects).
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Henka
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
This I'd like to know more about.
Running Volvo engines in Porsche 944 is quite common in Sweden. Through the years there has been a couple of builds. Basically, it's an engine that is used everywhere in racing in Sweden. We also have the Evo engine - a Volvo B23/B230 based custom built 2 valve engine. The Evo has the same interface as a B230 but the largets ones are 3.2ltr making over 350hp in n/a form. Not a cheap engine... I tell ya, a 3l EVO with dual 55's, it's a sound that beats about everything.

My race car is a 944 with a Volvo engine. I'll be running it in Modsport as well, but I'll be in class 3, 5kg/hp. It's got a 2.3ltr B230 with Webers. Basically, I used the bellhousing from a Volvo M46 gearbox mounted on a trans tube with a new flange. I had to shorten the tube like 20mm. Duke's car ran a similar setup but they used a bellhousing from a Volvo 340 or 360. It all mates up quite nicely actually. Clutch - well, I run a Volvo flywheel, Volvo pressure plate and a 215mm clutch for an early 911.

Basically, shake a tree sweden and a guy who can tune Volvo engine falls down. It's been done for years, parts are readily avaliabe and the market with used parts is overflowing. It's a no-brainer really. Reaching like 110-120hp/ltr is not expensive.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Henka, can you tell me if there are more pictures of his suspension conversion than the few on that link? Does he have a build thread?

Also, you might be interested to look at this thread for a Porsche n/a with greater than 100hp per litre.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...for-400hp.html
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Henka, can you tell me if there are more pictures of his suspension conversion than the few on that link? Does he have a build thread?
Just buy the caged, powder coated 951 tub vision has for $4k.

Then have them do the 996/997 mounting provisions for the front/rear.... then have them ship you the bare tub.

You can install all your own 996/997 suspension at your shop.

And they can even give you, ala carte... any of the stuff you see on my car.

They have drawings on everything they built for me, so it's quite reproduce able.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Another Swedish 944/968 with 996 suspension