Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dry lifters getting you down?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ehall
Pretty cool gear, but it ain't no pickle jar! That's for sure! Pickle jar tech FTW! Seriously that is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that.
No problem, thought some people might find it interesting. Here is another interesting tid bit. When I started back in 1990, I could actually see the parts we were making with the naked eye. Now the geometries are so small the finished product can only be seen under the microscope! That is one of the reasons why things are so cheap now. Think about how many parts are on an 8" wafer!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Pretty cool stuff....crazy

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
No problem, thought some people might find it interesting. Here is another interesting tid bit. When I started back in 1990, I could actually see the parts we were making with the naked eye. Now the geometries are so small the finished product can only be seen under the microscope! That is one of the reasons why things are so cheap now. Think about how many parts are on an 8" wafer!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I evacuated 4 soft lifters tonight. I started in the shop with Uncle Toms Pickle Jar. Then I discovered the mityvac came with cup and lid with port installed. Tons of bubbles later and lifters are still not real hard.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I evacuated 4 soft lifters tonight. I started in the shop with Uncle Toms Pickle Jar. Then I discovered the mityvac came with cup and lid with port installed. Tons of bubbles later and lifters are still not real hard.
See note above that some lifters never get hard and need to be discarded. Could try to drop in a blue diamond or two, Ha!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's one of the reasons I would like to stay healthy for another 50years. I can't even imagine how quickly tech will leap in that time.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:14 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Yes, the last ten years have been crazy! The next 50 is going to be incredible. Star Trek is coming to fruition. I can't wait to see what is right around the corner. We are two blocks from Tesla and that place is making huge technological strides. Elon Musk is quite the genius! I hope everybody buys one so gas is cheap again for us gear heads.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the last ten years have been crazy! The next 50 is going to be incredible. Star Trek is coming to fruition. I can't wait to see what is right around the corner. We are two blocks from Tesla and that place is making huge technological strides. Elon Musk is quite the genius! I hope everybody buys one so gas is cheap again for us gear heads.
That's a thought, gas becomes cheaper as people buy electric! I just hope it has the same effect on E85.

Whoa, I just jumped back a page and saw your vacuum machine pics. Seriously cool stuff.
So how much to vac out a set of lifters? j/k lol
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I had maybe 20 old lifters on the shelf, and use the pickle jar/vacuum on all of them. Unfortunately, less than half of them got really firm. If you squirt a little compressed air in the side, sometimes they will firm up, but I opted not to use them if they got spongy after sitting in oil overnight. If they get firm with compressed air though, I'd give them a shot if that's all I had...

Quick Reply: Dry lifters getting you down?