Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My GT30R Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom
Nicely detailed and informative thread, thanks for sharing. I wish the welds on mine were half as nice.

You may have been able to make the oil supply line to the turbo not much longer than the original one by using a much smaller oil filter and placing it under the intake manifold.
Thanks Thom. Finding a filter with worthwhile filtering properties for this sort of application was difficult, which is why I went with Dave's solution. Forced Performance sells an inline one but it is VERY small and placing it under the intake makes it that much more difficult to service. It's not as clean of a setup but the long lines cause no harm functionally.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Thank you for sharing! I know how much time it takes to build and take pics at the same time. Then you gotta post up all the info. It can be fun though. I did the same, but I didn't use the Tial housing or turbo mount.

Excellent job. Only critique is that you put your O2 sensor in a rough spot. It works just as well 12" or more in the Down pipe and will live in a lot less harsh environment. Be prepared to change that out a bit more than regular. Also, avoid putting anything in the up pipe. It puts that sweet turbo at a higher risk of damage if any sensor or whatever is in there lets a small piece go into the turbines.

I can't wait to hear your post on how it performs / spools. Excellent turbo choice and a job well done.
Thanks, Bruce. I learned a lot from your GT30 threads and your acceleration/autox vids were my inspiration!

It isn't clear yet because I haven't posted up the details of my exhaust, but that should come today. The O2 bung I was discussing was the stock one, which is still going to be used for the narrowband sensor. I have a separate bung in the test pipe for WBO2. I'm not sure if you thought I was going to be placing the wideband sensor in the crossover...?

In the past month or so I've been working through the break-in process for the rings / bearings / clutch. Already did the initial fire up and also the first drive. Need to change the oil again and put some real miles on once the weather clears up. While I tried not to get into boost it was almost unavoidable. This turbo spools so fast and lag is nonexistent as far as I can tell!

Most people post as they go however I felt this might be more exciting and coherent for people to have everything up front, so I waited until the project was complete. Overall it took me nearly 14 months to complete due to work / traveling / etc. It has been hard keeping quiet this long.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, so you've done all this and are driving the car now? So, feedback? Where are you seeing 1 bar?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Nicely detailed and informative thread, thanks for sharing. I wish the welds on mine were half as nice.

You may have been able to make the oil supply line to the turbo not much longer than the original one by using a much smaller oil filter and placing it under the intake manifold.
I was thinking exactly that, Because i bought an inline oil filter from Linsey racing and it's quite a large filter. I was going to put it under the intake then thought to my self that i should put it accessibel because it is a filter and i will want to inspect it each oil change.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=mclarenno9;10212376]
I had thought about it, but was worried it would turn yellow and start peeling at some point. I'd rather be able to spray some brake cleaner on a rag and wipe it down to clean it if (when) leaks develop, or if I change my oil filter . Having said that, I did paint many brackets and heat shields however those pieces are small enough to throw in the bead blasting cabinet to redo quickly if needed.QUOTE]

Steve:

Too late now, but for the future, take a look at the POR-15 products from their website. I have had very good success with their coatings. However, don't use their reccomended method of application with a brush, using a spray gun produces a factory like finish. I am attaching a couple pictures of my control arms I did with a small gravity feed spray gun. This is a powder coat like ceramic coating that will not chip or peal and is brake cleaner proof as well!
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Unfortunately, I did not have this advice and painted my block per their reccomendation with a brush and it turned out OK, but not nearly as nice as the control arms. Here is the finished block:
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH FANTASTIC. You are running it. I can see clearly that you know what the heck you are doing. Yeah, I thought that was where you were going to put the wideband. Thank you for clarifying. I still can't wait for you to see how damn fast that thing spools to 15psi. Should be right at 3K rpms.

I look forward to future videos!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I emailed these guys a while back to ask them some exhaust questions. Very nice work they do and the reply was very quick and informative. They as of yet have not done any exhaust for a 951. Someone close to them should try them out

Jason
They are super helpful in person, anything they dont stock they can make onsite in a few minutes.

Also I love everything about this thread.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks!

Eric, I'll have to give those coatings a try next time I have some parts off the car. Looks nice.

Once I get a couple hundred miles on the bearings/rings I'll start cranking up the boost and I'll be sure to report back with logs/dyno/video/etc.

For posterity's sake, here are a few closing shots:
Attached Images       
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Steve - Nice write up.
its too late for you project but there is a nicer solution for the AOS plumbing. The side output pipe from the AOS can (where you usually clamp a hose over it) will accept a NPT AN adapter fitting - it self taps in to the plastic very nicely. Then just add a 90 degree hose end. Looks great!
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

That is sharp Chris! Thanks for sharing. Which size NPT is the adaptor, 1/2"?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

In a word
WOW ....
That is some job .....
Great work, great write up, and now you can check into the insane asylum.
Very impressed ...
Hi Five
Regards
Ed
Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Incredible work Steve! That engine bay is very impressive (especially knowing how quality it is in areas you cannot see). The thread has assisted me greatly with my build and I appreciate you taking the time to document it. Thank you. I am sure many others will find this thread extremely useful.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the great photos
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I added this thread into my sticky well worth it!

Quick Reply: My GT30R Build