New Knock Counter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Meine44
Considering I would need to install a Wideband 02 sensor for an Air/Fuel gauge,
it would make sense for me to pony up the dough for the ZT-2 right away.

Goodbye tax monies.
You will have to drill a hole in the cat pipe for that sensor (see other posts regarding the location etc ) Make sure its done exactly where you mark it ! Ask me how I know
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping to remove the pipe after I mark it and take it to a shop for the 02 sensor bung to be welded in.

Also, I'm running with no cat, so would it matter how far from the turbo I mount the 02?

I know there is a certain distance away, but not sure if that changes since there is no cat it has to be a certain distance in front of.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I'm hoping to remove the pipe after I mark it and take it to a shop for the 02 sensor bung to be welded in.

Also, I'm running with no cat, so would it matter how far from the turbo I mount the 02?

I know there is a certain distance away, but not sure if that changes since there is no cat it has to be a certain distance in front of.
No difference, still should go where stated in many threads. (I just posted a few pictures for you)
What I did was mark it and then took it to some Ape, that decided to put it where he thought it was best ( just a few mm off and its a very tight fit or no fit at all)
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Meine44
Banned

Your engine bay is unbelievably clean.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

LOL
Don't get me started....
According to Tom
I am OCD
Old 02-27-2014, 10:48 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Believe me, that is an understatement! You must see it in person to get the full effect!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. I would want to hook the counter up to the "in-bounds" led of the V-knock.
There are various ways to connect V-KNOCK. You can connect it in parallel with the digital counter, both feed off the same signal from the KLR. Doing so, the counter gets all knock pulses, even the "shadow" ones.

Another way is to connect the counter after V-KNOCK. You would do this to take advantage of V-KNOCK functionality.
V-KNOCK allows you to filter out knock signals you are not interested in. As an example, if you are interested in knock signals when the Throttle is open over a certain %, or WOT. Or if you are interested in capturing knock obove a certain boost level.

As someone mentioned it already, you must know what to do when you detect engine knock. The first and simple step is to know there is knock. With a counter, you get a count, which is hard to read and evaluate while driving. V-KNOCK gives you a visual and optional audible warning, easy to capture while driving. The first line of defense is controlled by the driver. If you detect too many knock counts, then lift off the gas to determine the root cause. If you are tuning, then adjust. If you are running a canned tune, then you are running outside the parameters.. Or ???

When V-KNOCK is used and configured with Vitesse MAF running V-MAF+ software, both systems operate in closed loop. When there is knock, the DME will adjust ignition and fuel. Ignition modifications still occur in the KLR as usual.

People controlling boost via a PiggyBack, can program it to lower boost when knock occurs...

There are many ways to configure the system. From the simple, yet effective, visual warning. To a more elaborate knock management approach.

V-KNOCK has many outputs, some can be used for logging. Be it within the DME itself, via an external data logger (ex. ZT3) or a PB. Logging knock is important, however being able to do something about it when it happens is crucial.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Last edited by fast951; 02-28-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice explanation John!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Very nice explanation John!
Thanks, I try.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Meine44
Banned

That information is exactly what I was looking for John!

I would be looking to hook up the counter after v-knock in order to only count under WOT or high boost.

ZT-2 is also on my list in order to log the data as well.

Controlling ignition and timing during knock events would be great, but that will have to be done a while from now. Just looking for a visuals right now until I can upgrade to a better MAF.

I guess ideally the ZT-2 would display a knock count, but I don't know if that is one of the features of their LCD display.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I guess ideally the ZT-2 would display a knock count, but I don't know if that is one of the features of their LCD display.
I don't believe that will display that info, but the V knock has a visual LED or some kind of sound device could be hooked up ( which is the direction I would like to go ) Just waiting for Tom to pull one out of his R&D lab
Also, if you decide to go with the ZT-2 I would go for a round multi-gauge and not the rectangular one they sell ...
Old 02-28-2014, 09:29 PM
Meine44
Banned

Why would you prefer the multigage over the lcd display?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Why would you prefer the multigage over the lcd display?
Numerous reasons
#1 reason much easier to locate
and looks 100 x better
yad yad yad
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

The ZT-2 gauges won't display a knock count number like a counter would (without some trickery anyway), but if you wire the V-Knock to the Zt-2, you can log the knock to see exactly where and when it is happening (and you can count them if interested), which is much more useful than just having an overall number. It's common for the KLR to throw off knock counts when shifting or rev'ing in neutral, etc. So a knock count of 10 could be harmless if they are all occurring on shifts, whereas a knock count of 5 could be cause for concern if all happening on boost. Either way though, a Curtis counter display is a cheap add if you want a number.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The ZT-2 gauges won't display a knock count number like a counter would (without some trickery anyway), but if you wire the V-Knock to the Zt-2, you can log the knock to see exactly where and when it is happening (and you can count them if interested), which is much more useful than just having an overall number. It's common for the KLR to throw off knock counts when shifting or rev'ing in neutral, etc. So a knock count of 10 could be harmless if they are all occurring on shifts, whereas a knock count of 5 could be cause for concern if all happening on boost. Either way though, a Curtis counter display is a cheap add if you want a number.
As Tom mentioned here is an example of a log from the ZT-2 with the V- knock, logging in the bottom category ( showing up as Zt-2 user 1 volts ) see a REAL knock in the middle of the screen bottom (Only the very peak, is a true knock )
Regards
Ed
opps... forgot the screen
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New Knock Counter