Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lobster bends

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice. Its very popular in Japan. I wish i could do that as i need to redo the intake for the turbo
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome Paulyy! Hope to start my fab work in a week or so and you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I sold a intake pipe for a K-27 on here years ago that I pie cut like that. I love TIG welding but not enough for that! BTW I run a 330A miller tig, it's huge and a bit old but steady as a rock and the torch stays cool!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm trying to start apprenticing as a welder; that will definitely be something I'll have to try!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8

Not quite shiny enough for me, Ha!
Still pretty

Originally Posted by reno808
very nice. Its very popular in Japan. I wish i could do that as i need to redo the intake for the turbo
Thanks, I'm sure you could go to a proper fab shop and get them to make you one?

Originally Posted by refresh951
Awesome Paulyy! Hope to start my fab work in a week or so and you are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers mate, Appreciate it . Just practice on off cuts. These days you can find small TIGS (probably pricey) that are small that do aluminium with pulse.
Remember you need Pure Argon to TIG weld Stainless Steel and Aluminium

Originally Posted by badcoupe
I sold a intake pipe for a K-27 on here years ago that I pie cut like that. I love TIG welding but not enough for that! BTW I run a 330A miller tig, it's huge and a bit old but steady as a rock and the torch stays cool!
People where doing it before the trend came along haha! Im running a Lincoln Electric precision 375. Tip stays cool also!
I have a small TIG and it's the worst when the tip gets hot. You feel it though thte gloves and it gets uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by Black51
I'm trying to start apprenticing as a welder; that will definitely be something I'll have to try!
You have to! time consuming though. Good luck with the Apprenticeship
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We still needs pics (BEFORE GRINDING) of the inside

It does look nice though.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you do a thru weld with tig, you need to back purge the backside of the weld. In this case it would be the id. Tape over the ends of the pipe .put a small hose of argon in the lowest point and punch a hole in the highest point on the other end. Argon will fill the pipe and displace the air. The vent hole should be big enough so that you get flow thru the pipe and NOT pressurize the pipe. You'll get a very clean id this way. Have fun.Tig is like art.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb42
When you do a thru weld with tig, you need to back purge the backside of the weld. In this case it would be the id. Tape over the ends of the pipe .put a small hose of argon in the lowest point and punch a hole in the highest point on the other end. Argon will fill the pipe and displace the air. The vent hole should be big enough so that you get flow thru the pipe and NOT pressurize the pipe. You'll get a very clean id this way. Have fun.Tig is like art.
If the pipe was under stress (structural or exhaust) I would agree. But for an intercooler pipe, a little flowering on the inside won't hurt anything.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Or use solar flux type B it's what burns stainless recommends and works excellent in lieu of backpurging with argon. I do all my headers with it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Paul:

I am going to try to post a link via the phone, hope it works. This is the welder we use at work. I know it takes the fun and art out of it, but if you are **** like me, you will love these welds. Video is using 1/4" tubing, but we have chucks good for up to 4" 304 SS tubing. Seams are perfect every time. I have never looked for a price used, but this would be handy if you were in the business.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xdeN1jtgHr8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxdeN1jtgHr8
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Inside:

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Eric,

Pretty neat machine i have to say. Useless for me as we don't really do much with pipes. And they're usually all funny sizes if we do.

I have a picture a friend took of some lobster pipes. The welds are so straight it looks like a machine did it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 AM
AtharRazvi
Advanced

You should definately back purge with argon if it's pre-turbo. You don't want something breaking loose from high heat and going into the turbo

Here is my crossover pipe
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AtharRazvi
You should definately back purge with argon if it's pre-turbo. You don't want something breaking loose from high heat and going into the turbo

Here is my crossover pipe
If you show the JDM scene that, they'll cringe and say that it looks ugly and not neat because it bulges out. But in actual fact that looks like a nice strong weld!

Got any inside images?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I did another piece today in some free time after work.

I took step by step pictures so you can see the effort put into it.

I set up my bandsaw a ~6 degree and rotate the tube 180 degree each cut to get the angle i want.
This is what it looks like after it's cut

Cleaned up the edges with a bench grinder and washed it in thinners (or a dirt and grease remover)

Clamped them together with a vice and vice grips

Tacked them into place (i tired to tack them all together first. probably better off tacking one and welding it one by one)

Finished (you can see on the left middle run, that it's larger. That is because it had a small gap so i needed to use filler wire)

Quick Reply: Lobster bends