Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP: Axle hitting hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP: Axle hitting hub

Just got my car back together and whenever I hit the accelerator I get a loud clunk from the rear end. I went through everything and have determined it is the right side axle hitting the hub. I am able to replicate the sound easily and there is literally no room between the axle and the hub when it is in a resting position. I have the Lindsey motorsport axles and CV's. Any ideas on how to get this to shift back to normal as I never had the issue before. I have a solid trans mount & Lindsey Ultra engine mounts that are all working properly. I cant get the trans to move to the left side any further to try and pull the axle away from the right hub. Need to fix it tonight/tomorrow cause wont have any time between then and Sebring club race to get under the car.

Thanks
Brian
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cv joints are probably worn allowing too much lateral movement. I've had this same issue before and replaced the cv shaft and fixed it.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Well took the axle out and found one of the CV's was bad. Kind of surprised given that these axles and CV's were supposed to be the best you could get. Found the inner race had some fairly good sized pits in it and it has been binding I guess. Bad part is these were brand new and I have maybe 25 hours on them with a stock motor so no crazy HP being pushed. Now to call Lindsey on Monday and see what we can do. Hopefully I dont have to shell out another $600 for a new axle cause that would suck.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Do what I do and buy the vanagon empi axles and change out the joints. 60 per side.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

That's a bit of a concern. Do you have tired engine or trans mounts that could cause excessive lateral movement and put strain on the axles/CV's? Assume the axle is fine but the CV needs rebuilding?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I ask....How do you know the axles are hitting the hub?

I just replaced one of my axles. The old one was clicking really loud (louder than I have ever heard a CV click). I remember Sid talking about having this problem, so I went under my car and tried to move the axle with my hand. It was loose, and I could move it maybe an 2in total (1" each direction from center), but I couldn't get it to hit either the hub or the transmission. I know I can't put the same pressure on it as the engine, even though I'm pretty tough .... but I couldn't see it happening at all. Then I tested the new axle packed with fresh grease, and though it didn't move as much, it still moves a bit...

How do you guys know the axle is hitting the hub? (I'm not doubting. just curious)
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 AM
blown 944
Race Car

You can take ahold of the cv shaft and mov it toward the hub and make the same noise.

Pat, it was nothing to do with trans movement. The wear allows lateral movement. I've had this discussion before.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's a bit of a concern. Do you have tired engine or trans mounts that could cause excessive lateral movement and put strain on the axles/CV's? Assume the axle is fine but the CV needs rebuilding?
No the engine and trans mounts are in good shape. I have a solid trans mount and a new set of Lindsey ultra mounts. Still dont understand how this happened but it is what it is. Doubting there will be any warranty since I bought them 18mths ago but only have maybe 25 hrs on them Bummer.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Originally Posted by m73m95
Can I ask....How do you know the axles are hitting the hub?

I just replaced one of my axles. The old one was clicking really loud (louder than I have ever heard a CV click). I remember Sid talking about having this problem, so I went under my car and tried to move the axle with my hand. It was loose, and I could move it maybe an 2in total (1" each direction from center), but I couldn't get it to hit either the hub or the transmission. I know I can't put the same pressure on it as the engine, even though I'm pretty tough .... but I couldn't see it happening at all. Then I tested the new axle packed with fresh grease, and though it didn't move as much, it still moves a bit...

How do you guys know the axle is hitting the hub? (I'm not doubting. just curious)
I can tell because when I push it to the outside it is literally maybe 3mm from the hub. When I pull the wheel and use my hands to move the brake rotor I can hear it hit each way I go. The sound it much more than a click that a bad CV would make. It is for sure a loud clunk of the axle hitting the hub.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Do what I do and buy the vanagon empi axles and change out the joints. 60 per side.
Hey Sid I thought you were doing the reverse of that? Running the VW CV joint but the Porsche axle?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Hey Sid I thought you were doing the reverse of that? Running the VW CV joint but the Porsche axle?

Yes that's what I'm doing. Sorry if I made it confusing.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I don't think I've ever heard of the axle itself going bad (barring accidents) -- it's essentially always the CV itself.

Hate to say it, but doesn't surprise me that the LR axles didn't last you long...they haven't had a good track record over the past couple years.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
I don't think I've ever heard of the axle itself going bad (barring accidents) -- it's essentially always the CV itself.

Hate to say it, but doesn't surprise me that the LR axles didn't last you long...they haven't had a good track record over the past couple years.
These are the fancy new ones they just released a year ago or so (?)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can take ahold of the cv shaft and mov it toward the hub and make the same noise.
I could not do that, however, by the way my axle was clicking, I'm going to assume that it was hitting the hub.

Yes that's what I'm doing. Sorry if I made it confusing.
Do you have the part # and/or your source for the vanagon joints? I have some newly acquired porsche axle shafts (my old ones) that I would like to put some new vanagon joints on.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Pat, it was nothing to do with trans movement. The wear allows lateral movement. I've had this discussion before.
Don't quite get that Sid. If the axle and CVs are pretty new and also an expensive upgrade, how would they wear to the point that they are sort of producing self induced wear? Wouldn't a bad trans mount allow for lateral movement of the TTube, trans that would therefore potentially induce stress on the CVs causing premature wear?
Which wear are you referring to Sid?

As Brian has mentioned though, the mounts are all good. Be very interested to hear what they come up with?? Is it possible that some crap got in there and created the premature wear on the Bearings?
I have some of these (968 version) on my car plus aftermarket engine/trans mounts. Was almost going to buy some more as a backup spare just in case. Perhaps I should just go the way Sid has but buy a 6 pack of them!!

Quick Reply: HELP: Axle hitting hub