Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Celebration Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
Jim Gibbs
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 951 Celebration Edition?

Hey, Y'all. I'm pretty new here and want to start off by saying thanks to all of the folks that share their knowledge so openly. I am starting to shop for a 951 street car and I have found one on CL that has me confused. It is advertised as an '87. It has the gray plaid studio cloth interior of a Celebration Edition. From what I can find on the interweb the Celebration theme was in '88 NA 944s. Also, the instrument cluster has a 170MPH speedo instead of the 180MPH that was new for '87. I wouldn't be surprised if the speedo was a replacement, but has anyone seen the gray studio cloth in a 951? The car is about 150 miles away and I'm trying to sort out as much of the mystery as I can before making the trip. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I have seen that gray cloth in one 951, and it was a factory option in that car. But I cannot remember if it was an 87. If the car you are looking at has the gray cloth seats intact it would be a real find, because most of the fabric seats have fallen apart over the years.

If you can get the seller to send you the options codes from the trunk it would likely say it came with cloth seats or not (hopefully the option sticker is still intact).

As for the speedo, I had an 87 with the 160mph speedo (goes to 170, but 160 is the last number), it was the factory piece and I always thought it was due to that car being one of the early 87s produced.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Jim Gibbs
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Ian. The cloth is worn out, but I like the look - just don't know if I like it enough to pay the outrageous material price to have the seats redone.

Quick Reply: 951 Celebration Edition?