Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smog test ahead: Will high octane gas alter smog test results?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pr951
A friend recommended to hold the car at higher revs for 2-3 minutes just prior to test (ie 3500 rpm) to heat up the cats.
I kinda did that but there was a few minutes were the car was just idling... When the tester was setting things up ...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, it's been near freezing! brrrrr

When I use a little E85 (actually, denatured alcohol) for smog tests, it lowers CO and HC while raising NO.

Maybe it's a little lean. Can you try tuning it to be richer?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Yeah, it's been near freezing! brrrrr

When I use a little E85 (actually, denatured alcohol) for smog tests, it lowers CO and HC while raising NO.

Maybe it's a little lean. Can you try tuning it to be richer?
We originally leaned out the car from where it was, (before the test thinking that might be the cause of the high HC numbers I got on the orig. passed smog test below ??
i.e. instead of leaving it at 14.7 and 14.5 we changed it to 14.7 to 15... ish
And I failed with hight NO numbers
So now we went back to 14.7 - 14.5 ish thinking it was too lean hence causing the high NO #'s

On the e85, Oh crap ... I thought it would do the inverse ( by cooling the exhaust )
I didn't put it in yet ....
Right now I am now changing the plugs ( they don't have a 1000 miles on them )
I am trying to do whatever I can to eek out a pass...
Also I am changing the oil ( same mileage as above )
Below is the latest smog test ( which I failed ) and the one from a little over a year ago ( which I just passed notice the HC was pass by one !) That was with a different cat ( orig stock ) vs the new one I am using
None of this **** makes sense ....
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Its a new maybe a year old (used for smogging only) after market cat that is CA CARB approved ...
I was thinking I heated up the cat enough, but some others say, maybe not ... As ya know its been pretty cold here the last few weeks so I don't know if the car is heating up the same....
I think that some e85 should help bring down the temps ,,, no?
regards
Ed
A well-functioning cat likes to have a little HC (stoichiometric or a little richer) to work with in order to heat up.

I would suggest installing a WBO2 system and put a switch on the narrowband O2 sensor blocking the signal to the DME on demand.
With the wideband you can get a good estimate of the probability of passing the smog test (good if it is near stoichiometric) and the switch can be used to see how close the base map is to stoichiometric. If the base map is too far away, the closed loop configuration (NB connected) will not be able compensate.
When the NB sensor is disconnected the DME internally creates a 0.5V signal, so it does not do any compensation.

I can also recommend training your nose to detect a well-functioning cat … seriously. It has saved me a couple of times by smelling the need to go for a brisk ride before the actual test.

Laust
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm no expert but I think if you go back to the richer setting (which resulted in 0% O2 on your previous test) you will pass with your newer cat. Get a pretest!

And good luck with this retarded California smog rubbish.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Its a new maybe a year old (used for smogging only) after market cat that is CA CARB approved ...
I was thinking I heated up the cat enough, but some others say, maybe not ... As ya know its been pretty cold here the last few weeks so I don't know if the car is heating up the same....
I think that some e85 should help bring down the temps ,,, no?
regards
Ed
I checked my records, and after 18 months my DEC cat was at 795 ppm NOx at the low speed test (but plenty of room at the high speed), so maybe they just don't last very long.

See if the NOx comes down with AC on (so all the radiator fans are running) and the hood down to channel the air through the engine compartment. Or go see Jeff.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

None of this **** makes sense ....
You've got that right. I thought I had it figured out and have posted here a lot on the smog topic. Now I realize I didn't and don't have it figured out.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PEvans
I checked my records, and after 18 months my DEC cat was at 795 ppm NOx at the low speed test (but plenty of room at the high speed), so maybe they just don't last very long.

See if the NOx comes down with AC on (so all the radiator fans are running) and the hood down to channel the air through the engine compartment. Or go see Jeff.
As Murphy would have it my AC is disconnected ( need a new compressor ) so I can do that
Pete, did you use your cat just for smog test only, or do you run it all the time .. Reason I ask is that this CAT was only used for one test, so I was expecting no issue ...
I was obviously wrong

You've got that right. I thought I had it figured out and have posted here a lot on the smog topic. Now I realize I didn't and don't have it figured out.
Yea sadly the idiots are running the show here ...
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
A well-functioning cat likes to have a little HC (stoichiometric or a little richer) to work with in order to heat up.

I would suggest installing a WBO2 system and put a switch on the narrowband O2 sensor blocking the signal to the DME on demand.
With the wideband you can get a good estimate of the probability of passing the smog test (good if it is near stoichiometric) and the switch can be used to see how close the base map is to stoichiometric. If the base map is too far away, the closed loop configuration (NB connected) will not be able compensate.
When the NB sensor is disconnected the DME internally creates a 0.5V signal, so it does not do any compensation.

I can also recommend training your nose to detect a well-functioning cat … seriously. It has saved me a couple of times by smelling the need to go for a brisk ride before the actual test.

Laust
Hi Laust
Sorry I missed this post
Hope all is well
Actually I have the ZT2 wideband and have it tuned to 14.7 bouncing to and fro to 14.5 now .. The failed test it was a little on the leaner side so I am hoping with the new plugs, richer mixture an oil change, and a litte E85 I may squeak by
Regards
Ed
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Pete, did you use your cat just for smog test only, or do you run it all the time ..
I ran the cat in my example.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I ran the cat in my example.
Wow ... that is crazy ,,, I could be in big trouble ...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:52 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddie, I'm trying to get my car through CA smog too and I've got a lot of the same stuff as you(I'm the guy with the Baltic Blue car that was FS at Parts Heaven this summer). How did you get through visual? It looks like the VR MAF doesn't have a CARB cert on it.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odb812
Eddie, I'm trying to get my car through CA smog too and I've got a lot of the same stuff as you(I'm the guy with the Baltic Blue car that was FS at Parts Heaven this summer). How did you get through visual? It looks like the VR MAF doesn't have a CARB cert on it.
The tech was Stevie Wonder
How are ya ....? I guess you didn't sell your car ...
I am adding to my list of changes ... now I am going to change the O2 sensor as well
So I did
Plugs
Oil and filter
O2 sensor
going to heat the cat up more
and maybe e85 ...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As already stated earlier in this thread, e85 will raise NO, seems counterproductive to what you are trying to do. Have you checked for any small exhaust leaks, such as by the waste gate and where the collector meets the crossover?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To pass in Georgia w Vitesse Stg.ll, Have done a couple things over time; goal to reduce combustion temps producing crazy high NOX. Lowered the fuel pressure w/ the AFPR and passed for many years. But in 2012 for some reason, that wasn't working even w/ a new CAT, so the guy running the machine ran the test in a higher gear/lower RPM to reduce combustion temps & it passed.

Quick Reply: Smog test ahead: Will high octane gas alter smog test results?