Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

short shifters breaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may try my luck and get the part welded back together and hope for the best.... if not i will definitely be looking into getting xschops
Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I ran a short shifter on a 5 speed some years ago. When it worked it was nice, but if you slightly missed the shift it would 'graunch' the gears, particularly when the car was cold. Anyone else find this?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my short shift linkage from Paragon Products years ago and it's been working fine and shifting pleasantly ever since I have had it. I ignore who actually makes it but it looks 99% identical to that Schnell unit... Will be checking it up close for wear over the weekend.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a schnell unit in my 1987 924S that I tracked for 2 years and was also my DD, Never had a problem, But As noted I did notice when cold it would have a tendence to grind, But once it warmed up, all was good
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Can I ask a 'dumb' question?
Why do you guys want a short shift set up? if your bushings and shift lever are in 'like new' condition the stock shifter is really nice. Fixing a sloppy shifting lever/rod/linkage by adding a short shift kit is not the best solution!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris White
Why do you guys want a short shift set up? if your bushings and shift lever are in 'like new' condition the stock shifter is really nice. Fixing a sloppy shifting lever/rod/linkage by adding a short shift kit is not the best solution!
Me personally, I think the stock throw is to long, Yes its a nice steup but I feel it needs a little more, I like the shorter throw and the ferm mechanical feel, Feels better when driving.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
Me personally, I think the stock throw is to long, Yes its a nice steup but I feel it needs a little more, I like the shorter throw and the ferm mechanical feel, Feels better when driving.
Have you driven a stock system that has been recently rebuilt? New shift lever, shift rod and bushings will make a huge difference.

I also prefer the feed back you get with the regular throw, all the short shift kits I have used have no real feedback from the trans and you just feel like you are 'man-handling' the transaxle in to gear.

Anyway - my main point is that the short shift kit is not a good way to fix a sloppy shifter, replace the shift lever, the white bushing and if needed the long shift rod first.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM
eman930
Banned

Have you driven a stock system that has been recently rebuilt? New shift lever, shift rod and bushings will make a huge difference.

I also prefer the feed back you get with the regular throw, all the short shift kits I have used have no real feedback from the trans and you just feel like you are 'man-handling' the transaxle in to gear.

Anyway - my main point is that the short shift kit is not a good way to fix a sloppy shifter, replace the shift lever, the white bushing and if needed the long shift rod first.
I agree, If your looking to fix it and like the way stockers feel then by all means fix the factory setup, If your looking for a different feel or shorter throw go with a short shifter, Its all really a matter of personal preference. As for this topic, The assembley that Broke is a Short shifter assembley and is why everyone is suggesting different short shifter kits. But its also one of those "while your in there" situtations While some will rebuild, others will replace with a possable better design for what they are looking to do.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I too think the stock shift linkage has a bit too much throw. My S2 had a nice tight stock linkage. So I know what it feels like. I love the feel and throw of a short shifter linkage. Mind you I hate those 'short' shifters in the cab that replaces the shift handle, and is literally just shorter. Those are retarded IMO. But it's all personal preference, and I don't blame anyone who likes them.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey Chris.

I lost my stock unit during my build....I think it fell into the recycle bin in the garage otherwise I would have left it alone.

Did not know it was missing until I went to put in on. Doh!!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
eman930
Banned

Originally Posted by Black51
I too think the stock shift linkage has a bit too much throw. My S2 had a nice tight stock linkage. So I know what it feels like. I love the feel and throw of a short shifter linkage. Mind you I hate those 'short' shifters in the cab that replaces the shift handle, and is literally just shorter. Those are retarded IMO. But it's all personal preference, and I don't blame anyone who likes them.
Yea Agree, The "Short" shifters that are just the shifter cut down are stupid LOL, if your gonna do it, change the shifter linkage to "correct" the throw. Its really the right way to do it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 101geo
The main reason why I bought a short shifter was to shorten the throw and thought it would improve slop. This is a good article, most of us that expect Porsche parts to last forever are in denial due to wear and tear items. The slop is still there because I did not understand there was more than 1 problem to tackle and did not put effort into anything but a bolt on. Woes me.. get in the garage and fix it righty!
Lol!

Quick Reply: short shifters breaking