Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aero... racing boys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
There was a thread in the NA forum a few months ago where a SP2 racer took his car to a wind tunnel for a few hours of testing. He was pretty limited to playing with tire pressures to raise and lower the car - but discovered that rack, as well as ground clearance, plays a big role in downforce (or minimizing the upforce).

However, looking at his data and my average cornering speed, we're talking about a very limited contribution to grip... I think there is more to be gained by reducing drag - like covering panel gaps, removing mirrors, covering side windows, etc. - and getting a little higher top speed on the straights.

To change subjects slightly, shock potentiometers can tell you a lot! I put them on my car at the end of the season and I'm still trying to figure out the data. It's interesting to note that, even with a full cage, my car exhibits 2 degrees of body twist while cornering (left or right) - imagine how much it would twist without a cage!
Van, what do you mean by the term 'rack' in relation to downforce? Looking forward to you deciphering some of that data. You're the go to guy re that stuff. Might swap some notes with you this season. (nb I want to discuss some braking data with you also. I'll pm.)

Originally Posted by m73m95
I argue that the underside of the 944 rubber spoiler creates more downforce than the lip at the top (I think the taller Le Mans spoiler got it wrong). The rubber spoiler extends the low pressure area created behind the car, effectively pulling the spoiler (and car) down. If you want to make more downforce with it, make it longer, not taller. This will also create more drag, as you're increasing the low pressure area behind the car, but I bet the difference between the drag of that vs the drag of a huge, hatch mounted spoiler, would be less.

I view the 968 spoiler as more of a diffuser. It smooths the air flow, for less drag. Its purpose is not for downforce, though I'm sure it does create some.

This^^

F1 designers spend hundreds of hours in the wind tunnel, and change their designs nearly every race. Even the best engineers, with the best computers, in the world cannot create a "perfect" design. They still use glo-vis paint to test their parts. As said above, you can do the same with some yarn and someone with a camera in another car. That is how the Shelby Daytona's body was tweeked..and it won a few races.

With boundary layers, high and low pressures, drag, lift and downforce all needing to be accounted for, its extremely difficult to get right by "guessing". The 944 is pretty aerodynamic, even by today's standards. The most gains (IMHO) are made from under the car, and around the wheel wells (high pressure areas). Also, venting the air trapped under the hood should give a good gain. Added wings and downforce should be used to balance the car, more than sticking it to the road. Even the high powered cars just aren't doing the speed needed to maximize benefits of a ton of downforce...not to take the hit of the added drag anyway.
From what I've leaned discussing this with a number of different people is I'd agree with your point re the 'F1 teams not getting it perfect so what hope have we' type sentiment. I have had 180 degree differing views on the downforce thing. Many in here declare almost any large wing set at more than a couple of degrees A.o.A. is creating way too much drag and the car will lose way too much speed to warrant the wing/positioning. On the other hand I've had different people say that they have benefited from the addition of a large rear wing and associated frontal aero even if it's cost them some terminal speed. Mid and exit corner speed have increased dramatically which should offset the extra drag down the main straight twofold. Firstly, well faster is faster. i.e. faster through the turn = less time. Obvious of course. Secondly, the faster corner speed (particularly exit) will increase your speed down the following straight which will offset some of the lost terminal speed due to extra drag.

As for these cars not going at a sufficient speed to generate active downforce, well I'd disagree with that within reason. Some of the fastest cars in here are easily going quickly enough to generate d/force depending one what aero package they have of course. The wing I have is meant to start downforce from as low as 60mph iirc.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Van, what do you mean by the term 'rack' in relation to downforce?
Doh! It was supposed to be "rake" the angle of the car...
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
From what I've leaned discussing this with a number of different people is I'd agree with your point re the 'F1 teams not getting it perfect so what hope have we' type sentiment. I have had 180 degree differing views on the downforce thing. Many in here declare almost any large wing set at more than a couple of degrees A.o.A. is creating way too much drag and the car will lose way too much speed to warrant the wing/positioning. On the other hand I've had different people say that they have benefited from the addition of a large rear wing and associated frontal aero even if it's cost them some terminal speed. Mid and exit corner speed have increased dramatically which should offset the extra drag down the main straight twofold. Firstly, well faster is faster. i.e. faster through the turn = less time. Obvious of course. Secondly, the faster corner speed (particularly exit) will increase your speed down the following straight which will offset some of the lost terminal speed due to extra drag.

As for these cars not going at a sufficient speed to generate active downforce, well I'd disagree with that within reason. Some of the fastest cars in here are easily going quickly enough to generate d/force depending one what aero package they have of course. The wing I have is meant to start downforce from as low as 60mph iirc.
Well, right...that's what makes this discussion so difficult. There are so many variables. Track layout, speed, mechanical grip, etc.... If your track has long sweeping corners, maximum downforce at the loss of top speed is what is needed.

Faster corner speeds outweigh faster trap speeds. I wasn't trying to imply that taking the big wing off to go faster down the straight, is the right answer. Its not. My point was, I think you (not YOU specifically) could see the same gains (maybe even more) with proper, smaller adjustments, that you see with a big wing, in terms of downforce, but have lower lap times, because you'd have less drag on the straights.

Big wing...yes, but its also pretty flat. Especially for a car so heavily weighted in the rear.

VS.

The vast majority of the Flying Lizards downforce is coming from the bottom of the car.

A good undertray will accelerate the air under the car, creating low pressure. And with the square footage of the bottom of the car vs the square inches under a wing, the under tray will always win. Plus, there is very little drag.

I think if someone made a proper undertray for the 944, and paired that with a modest wing, mostly for balance, that would be the way to go.

Of course cost, and ease of use also play a part. If that is your concern, then the big wing is the way to go.
Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Of course cost, and ease of use also play a part. If that is your concern, then the big wing is the way to go.
And in some cases, rules... For 944 Cup/SP2, we're very limited with what we can do - especially to the underside of the car. But there are tricks: like taping up the hood and headlight seams; smaller mirrors, little "windowlets" by the mirrors; removing wiper arms; front air dam; radiator and brake duct opening size; ride height; and rake angle.

I'd love to be 0.1 second faster in every corner! I have yet to meet a race track that has more straights than corners...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any articles or pointers for making an under tray for these cars? I've thought about getting under there with some sheet aluminum but i'm afraid i'd do more harm than good.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van
And in some cases, rules... For 944 Cup/SP2, we're very limited with what we can do - especially to the underside of the car. But there are tricks: like taping up the hood and headlight seams; smaller mirrors, little "windowlets" by the mirrors; removing wiper arms; front air dam; radiator and brake duct opening size; ride height; and rake angle.

I'd love to be 0.1 second faster in every corner! I have yet to meet a race track that has more straights than corners...
A tenth is every corner would be epic LOL.... a 13 corner track = 1.3 seconds.

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Any articles or pointers for making an under tray for these cars? I've thought about getting under there with some sheet aluminum but i'm afraid i'd do more harm than good.
I've been thinking about it for years. There is a reason F1 teams will let you take all the pictures you want of the wings, but not give anyone a single glimpse of the bottom of the car. Really effective designs are super secret.

In theory, just making the bottom of the car smooth, lower it, and give a little rake to the suspension is easy. I think it would do alot to just get all of the factory trays, smooth the bottom of the tub, and route air around the transmission.

Here's what it looks like under an Enzo's skirt...

Benz flip at Le Mans...

And Mark Webber going for a ride...

The important points seem to be, keeping the air under the car with side skirts. It used to be that venting the air was good, but new thinking is that you want all of the air to exit the back of the car, so you have to contain it under the car. Also, using the air for cooling is alright, as long as you return the air to the bottom of the car. The added heating of the air also help with the speed of the air (and thus downforce). And, keep it as smooth as possible.

I'm not an aerodynamisist. I just study this stuff as a hobby....
Attached Images    
Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes, so many differing parts to the whole equation.
I can't seem to copy/paste these pics but you can see some 935's with a large A.o.A.
http://www.rivardcompetition.com/en/Gallery.php?id=5

I agree with the concept of improving the underbody aero and the complete aero package. We've all seen cars with quite large canards/dive planes added. You can see in the two pics here where there is not a lot of difference visually with the Canards here but I'm reliably told that there was quite a change in performance. The 2nd one basically just increased the drag without any other benefit.

It is my desire to do a decent flat bottom with diffuser but budget might weigh into that equation. There will be significant addition to the overall aero package between the last time the car went out and the next. That wing has never been mounted on my car yet so I include this in the previous statement.

Pretty cool site. Check out the aero on this Evo! http://www.speedhunters.com/category...attack/page/2/

ps...I've got a feeling that Mark Webber was driving that or similar Mercedes when it did the flip. Eeeek...things happen in 3's!
Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I yeah, I forgot Webber was driving that Merc....quite a ride! LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

If you don't have them yet, grab the Carroll Smith ... To Win series. They at least give you a good primer on aero, with some, albeit old info, specifics.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, so pretty much just grab a sheet of some thinner plastic and go to town? (I mean, i get the idea...but what would be a good material to start bolting on down there?)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

there is a nice aero undertray done with flexible black plastic around here on a BMW 335 track car - basically a large horizontal sheet fit under the car and held in place with screws and tabs with vertical elements fit in as well - it looks pretty good and has the advantage of being able to survive a (smallish) impact, unlike a metal fab-up would.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We may be doing a flat/ground effects bottom before the season as well. Working on ideas now. Would love to see what you are working on Patrick.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

IIRC I believe it was Mark Blundell or Martin Brundle driving the Merc that took off at LM. Can never remember.

Incredibly, it did multiple airborne rotations before landing in the woods. He walked away. Really is amazing!

Keep in mind that the 70's was when downforce instruments really started to come into the 'arena'. There were some pioneers before that, but it didn't really catch on until the seventies. (Take CanAm for example).

While I'm sure it worked, downforce aero back then was probably primitive at best. For example, the 917/30 had so much power that even the groovy aero stuff they put on it couldn't really handle it.

True 'groundeffects' cars didn't emerge until the 80's. The 959 was probably the first street car with a smooth undercarraige.

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Probably the most difficult (and important!) thing would be designing it so nothing lights it on fire. Especially with plastic.

Jim Hall did some pretty cool aero stuff on his cars. His one 'power assisted' design worked so well it was essentially banned from all series of motorsports.

I'm not an expert at all in aerodynamics, so can't really contribute besides commenting.

Take care!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

There were two big Merc flips. Mark Webber and Peter Dumbreck.

Ultimate change shorts moment!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:06 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but watching those Mercs fly never made me feel like I should be using their aerodynamic ideas for inspiration!

Quick Reply: Aero... racing boys.