Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 Wheels sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:04 PM
llusk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Wheels sizes?

I have a 86 944 Turbo and looking for some different aftermarket wheels. There is currently 19's on it and I would like to go to a 17". How wide a wheel and offset do I need for this? Everything is stock.
Looking for a used set of wheels.
I like the looks of the Fikse FM10 and BBS wheels, is there something out there close to the same style that will fit this car?

This site is great, I am new and apologize if this information has already been posted!!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

There are many similar styles.

I would highly recommend wheels in the proper offset for your car. Wheels from a late-offset Porsche would require you use adapters, which aren't a great idea in my opinion due to the extra set of lug nuts.

Besides BBS and Fikse FM10, also look for some CCW 'Classic' wheels. The wheels look very good on these cars.

Original offset for your car is around ET +23mm at all corners. Width and offset can be up to you.

Look for a used set someone ran on their 83-86 944 without adapters. Also look for a set someone ran on their 89-or-older 911 (also without adapters). Make sure they are not from a 1989 964-chassis car. However, depending on the fitment on the 911, they may or may not fit your car. You need to ask the seller for full set of dimensions including width and offset, then if you need help you can ask here.

Take care and happy holidays!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 PM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
There are many similar styles.

I would highly recommend wheels in the proper offset for your car. Wheels from a late-offset Porsche would require you use adapters, which aren't a great idea in my opinion due to the extra set of lug nuts.

Besides BBS and Fikse FM10, also look for some CCW 'Classic' wheels. The wheels look very good on these cars.

Original offset for your car is around ET +23mm at all corners. Width and offset can be up to you.

Look for a used set someone ran on their 83-86 944 without adapters. Also look for a set someone ran on their 89-or-older 911 (also without adapters). Make sure they are not from a 1989 964-chassis car. However, depending on the fitment on the 911, they may or may not fit your car. You need to ask the seller for full set of dimensions including width and offset, then if you need help you can ask here.

Take care and happy holidays!

Thank you French Toast!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 PM
llusk
Advanced

Is there any way these will fit an 86 944 turbo:
18x8 /45offset
18x10 / 50offset
18x10.5 /55offset
18x11 / 36offset
18x11.5 / 55offset
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by llusk
Is there any way these will fit an 86 944 turbo:
18x8 /45offset
18x10 / 50offset
18x10.5 /55offset
18x11 / 36offset
18x11.5 / 55offset
18x11 / 36mm offset will be close to working on the back. Trouble is, with an 11" wheel there's very very very little room for error when it comes to offset. I have 18x11et45 wheels for the rear with 285/35-18's, and I have a 15mm spacer... It's a bit too spaced out (tire rubs on the fender a bit), I need to play with them on the mill to find the perfect width. I tried using washers and some generic 7mm spacers I have around and I would up with something in the ballpark of 11mm seemed pretty perfect, but I'm not totally sure yet.

The rest of those are going to require bigger spacers. The 18x8et45 will need about a 20-25mm spacer for the front.

FWIW, there are replica cup and cupII wheels that pop up used every once in a while for early-offset cars (although I hear they are very heavy). Also, I think 944online carries replica 993 twists in 17 and 18 for early offset cars. There are also a few options for replica Fuchs in 17's with appropriate offsets. I believe there's a thread somewhere on Pelican that has a list of the available replica Fuchs. Also, if you buy new from BBS, Fikse, CCW, Team Dynamics, or any of those kinds of manufacturers, they'll make them to whatever width and offset you require.

An entirely different option is: If you're not going to buy wheels specifically made for an early-offset 944, then you're going to be running spacer. Probably pretty thick ones. This opens the door to using adapter spacers and then the whole world of wheels opens up.

Or, the other approach is: Find the necessary late offset suspension and brake bits and convert. The later hubs a re better, the later brake calipers are (slightly) better, the late rotors tend to be cheaper, and you can probably find all the necessary parts for not too terrible much (Lart?).

The only advantages to having early offset are:
1. The ability to use Fuchs
2. The ability to have very deep-dish wheels (if you can find them in the appropriate offset or have them made)
3. If you're willing to run spacers, there's very few wheels you can't use.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
llusk
Advanced

Thanks Crackership!
Those list of 18"s were some I found on discount tire. I was hoping I could make them work. I like a deeper dish wheel. What are the cons of running spacers. What is the max recommended width?

I would like to run 17's if possible, but they seem to be hard to find for this car without spending a lot.

Thanks again for everything, I currently have 19's on my car, they are too big for my taste.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
llusk
Advanced

Current wheels (19") and Fikse look I would like (17").
Attached Images     
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by llusk
Thanks Crackership!
Those list of 18"s were some I found on discount tire. I was hoping I could make them work. I like a deeper dish wheel. What are the cons of running spacers. What is the max recommended width?

I would like to run 17's if possible, but they seem to be hard to find for this car without spending a lot.

Thanks again for everything, I currently have 19's on my car, they are too big for my taste.
Well.. spacers are extra weight for one. They're also rather expensive for good ones. I think the biggest downside is the extra set of nuts that do require occasional torquing, and the fact that you have to take the wheel off to torque those nuts. Also, I've heard people say that spacers add extra strain to the wheel bearings, but I'm not 100% sold on that theory. I understand the argument, and I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I'm just not completely convinced.

As for max width... I don't know. I've heard of people running 2-2.5" spacers, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having problems with that... But, again, I'm not a mechanical engineer, and I really couldn't say what the max is..

I'm with you on the 17's, I think they look better than most 18's, and I've never liked 19's on 944's. But you're right, 17's can be rather hard to find for inexpensive.. The Cup and CupII wheels can usually be had for relatively little, also the Boxter twists... I'm just not much of a fan of any of those wheels, and all of them are going to need spacers. Again, there are replica 993 twists in 17" and the correct early offset, if you like that style. There are a few brands of replica Fuchs in 17" that are the correct offset and they range from really pretty inexpensive for gravity cast wheels to really pretty freakin' expensive for the really good forged ones. Depending upon your intended use for the car, the inexpensive ones might not be too bad... IIRC, they're around $800 a set new. However, those are definitely not the Fikse style you're after.

Just out of curiosity, do those 19's you have fit without spacers?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 PM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crackership
Well.. spacers are extra weight for one. They're also rather expensive for good ones. I think the biggest downside is the extra set of nuts that do require occasional torquing, and the fact that you have to take the wheel off to torque those nuts. Also, I've heard people say that spacers add extra strain to the wheel bearings, but I'm not 100% sold on that theory. I understand the argument, and I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I'm just not completely convinced.

As for max width... I don't know. I've heard of people running 2-2.5" spacers, and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having problems with that... But, again, I'm not a mechanical engineer, and I really couldn't say what the max is..

I'm with you on the 17's, I think they look better than most 18's, and I've never liked 19's on 944's. But you're right, 17's can be rather hard to find for inexpensive.. The Cup and CupII wheels can usually be had for relatively little, also the Boxter twists... I'm just not much of a fan of any of those wheels, and all of them are going to need spacers. Again, there are replica 993 twists in 17" and the correct early offset, if you like that style. There are a few brands of replica Fuchs in 17" that are the correct offset and they range from really pretty inexpensive for gravity cast wheels to really pretty freakin' expensive for the really good forged ones. Depending upon your intended use for the car, the inexpensive ones might not be too bad... IIRC, they're around $800 a set new. However, those are definitely not the Fikse style you're after.

Just out of curiosity, do those 19's you have fit without spacers?
I will look into those.
As far as I know they are without spacers, to be completely honest I have not taken them off to check.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey dude... give me a ring or shoot me a message on FB sometime. We live like right up the street from each other! I may be able to help you out on finding some wheels. Holler!
-Elliott
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

The 996 Turbo Twist hollow wheels fit the '86T with a few small spacers and are really a nice choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...6ac21c&vxp=mtr
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
The 996 Turbo Twist hollow wheels fit the '86T with a few small spacers and are really a nice choice: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...6ac21c&vxp=mtr
I actually have a set of 996 Turbo Twist hollow spokes, and you're half-correct. The rear only needs a small spacer, but it has to be just about perfect if you want to avoid rolling the fender. The front still needs a pretty thick spacer.

Also, I think those are priced a bit high.. That said, if someone wants to pay that much for them, I'll sell mine with tires and the spacers for that price...
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crackership
I actually have a set of 996 Turbo Twist hollow spokes, and you're half-correct. The rear only needs a small spacer, but it has to be just about perfect if you want to avoid rolling the fender. The front still needs a pretty thick spacer.

Also, I think those are priced a bit high.. That said, if someone wants to pay that much for them, I'll sell mine with tires and the spacers for that price...
Agreed the price is high, i paid about half that....
In the front i have an 8mm spacer and i don't recall what i have in the rear (20mm if i were to take a guess). At any rate, i mentioned them because they're light, good looking, and they don't sell for much because they don't fit much of anything. I converted to '86T rear hubs specifically to run them.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:06 AM
bimmen325
Racer

I have seen sets sell for 500.oo
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Agreed the price is high, i paid about half that....
In the front i have an 8mm spacer and i don't recall what i have in the rear (20mm if i were to take a guess). At any rate, i mentioned them because they're light, good looking, and they don't sell for much because they don't fit much of anything. I converted to '86T rear hubs specifically to run them.
I agree, they're a good looking wheel, they're light, pretty inexpensive and typically only early offset cars can run them. Pretty much the exact reasons I have them. I was never trying to say they weren't a good choice, I just wanted the OP to be aware that the 11" rears leave very little room for error with spacers.

Just out of curiosity, what size tires are you running on the rears?

Quick Reply: 86 944 Wheels sizes?