4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Leading cause of death of the 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
9turbo51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted for accident. Would fix bearing failure or fire. Would hate to see mine parted.
I like the "turbo driving experience" but think that LS based conversions are neat, not death!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:09 PM
George D
Drifting

Owner neglect gets my vote.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Ryan_U
Racer

I hope you guy know I was kidding about the LS1 swap being the death of a Porsche. Same thing with Lart parting them out. I wanted to start this post to poke fun at our cars. I swapped out my fuel lines to avoid one source of death. I thought I was being funny but you LS1 guys really take this to heart. I imagine that all the work that goes into a swap makes some people passionate about their project and I can understand that.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Sticker shock........

Entry price cheap -- maintenance more than some new cars....

so by default -- Owner Neglect

M
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

There is a reason why the vghey crowd is so touchy it's masculinity which is a known fact that decreases as the number of cylinders increase, you can add insecurity, impotence, small ***** disease to the list behind the reasons for a conversion.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan_U

I imagine that all the work that goes into a swap makes some people passionate about their project....

Originally Posted by txhokie4life

Sticker shock........

Entry price cheap -- maintenance more than some new cars....

just a loose effort to compare;

i'm at 171 k on this engine now.... i don't wrench much [i do the tune ups, oil, brakes, tranny oil, etc] and body mods... not much more.

if i do the maintenance that's required now, to go between 171 k~220 k miles—when all is said and done, my 968 engine will have presented about $32 K in maintenance and repairs [mix of do it myself/premium/discount techs/shops for two-owner car] to go about 220 k miles and again, be ready for the next infusion of cash..... i should actually do the head gasket and the rod bearings too, so that number can go higher. it's a semi-exotic, overworked engine, just like the 944T....

you can deal with the 3.0 variocam, including accessories, timing system, cams, pads, chains, motor mounts, gaskets, oil cooler lines, pickup tubes, rod bearings, etc... or buy one, sell the motor and swap in a nice LSx the first day you buy the car..... but do the latter, and you'll come out ahead.

by 4 cylinder standards [barf], it's a nice engine. i sorta like the growling behemoth when she's running 80 mph at 3,200 rpm down the highway..... but when the cellphone rings or i put on a movie or the stereo, it's also the most effing noisy, overgrown angry lawnmower/vibradore in history.... starts with a thud, then shakes itself, accessory parts, you, and your passengers nearly to death [even came with an 800 pound exhaust in an effort to tame it]....

the original owner and myself could have spent the same $$$ enjoying a far smoother, more powerful engine requiring only a few sets of valve springs, the odd ac pump, oil changes and tune ups.... for the guys who wrench and drive just a few thousand miles a year, the 968 engine is fine—and it can take a lot of punishment... but if you drive more, like i do [94 k miles in 57 months], the 968 engine is an expensive platform.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

so funny...I see Lart is leading the poll!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:06 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Lets face it. These cars are like trophy wives. They both require a ton of maintenance.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 358 Posts

At this point they're old cars that have most likely been neglected by multiple owners and have been molested by many hands. Much of my time was spent fixing work that previous people had done to "fix" my car.

It's hard to find a properly maintained, low number owner car that's truly in good shape. My car had been owned by multiple rennlisters and it was still a total basket case when I got it and the guy I bought it from lived in a mansion with a 5 car garage with a lift and several other Porsches.

Let me tell you, having to rebuild one of these is very time consuming and expensive! At this point I've literally replaced every wear item that was on the car when I bought it. It still could use some paint work too...
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 988 Posts

for all the v8 convo people more power to you because you will make it almost impossible in the future to find a stock example of a great car as is! you see over the years people always want more power out of the car they have and cheap out and go v8 route
i talk from experiance with the bmw m3 i had before and wanted to do a motor swap and got all the pieces ready to go when i finally finished hoarding i found 3 car already done for the prices of the parts i collected so i sold them all and retained my stock car and will be richer for it in the future
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
To me the #1 cause of 944 death is "Owner Neglect" (and that is often caused by being condition know as "dealership repair sticker shock")

But I did have a car catch on fire back in the day, so I voted for that out of the choices given.
this...
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by docwyte

At this point they're old cars that have most likely been neglected by multiple owners and have been molested by many hands.

indeed, like with most cars, this outlandish abuse is called driving;

worse if it sat.

my 3.0 is alive and well. if it had ever been negelected, it would probably be dead by now.

still, i have several accounts with this car that need to be squared soon.

and i could easily put $12 k in it right now, and sell one of the guys a decent car.

let's have a look.

due now;

1. belts.

2. tune up; distributor rotor, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, tranny oil, [all done];

3. before the next belts, there would be several more oil changes, 1 more fuel filter, and transmission oil cycle at 25 k miles.

at next belt change [220 k miles]

1. variocam system; belts, pullies, tensioner, chain, cam pads, seals, hall effect sensor, H2O pump, gaskets, etc,

2. tune up, including transmission oil,

3. ps pump rebuild, and all hoses.

4. replace ac pump [at every variocam system time] [currently enjoy the delete kit, but summer is coming].....

5. head gasket/valve job [it's time].

6. check cams to see for sprocket wear/replacement.

7. rod bearings/oil pickup tube, pan gasket [kind of late].

8. fuel hoses [@ 5 years].

so, to recap,

i put $12 k in it now so i can sell you the car for $10 k.

then hear about how the suspension and brakes were negelected!

Last edited by odurandina; 12-16-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

that poll is not fair just because i parted among the countless 944's a cup car and 3 1991 S2 out of 502, a few 2.8L turbos, Kokeln orcas's cousing and a race car that was driven by Al holbert doesn't mean I am the leading cause of dead of 944's, what i am interested in parting is a 968 turbo s but can't find any or a 3.2L conversion
Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

those part outs saved countless other cars that would have been forced by the $$$$/reality context to have sat and eventually scrapped.

not to mention....

just as in the Boston area, southern California has long since moved on from the 944/944T.

Beemers/Audis/Lexus'/and every other sporty car driven around here are outsourced to other markets after just a few years.

half of the new jork/jersey/conn tri-state area's used cars are Boston's hand-me-downs driven by the endless immig.....

i haven't seen a 944 in Massachusetts in over a decade ['cept for one for sale in a driveway like, 3 years ago].

no takers, so, this nice fellow in Connecticut parded it.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

100% agreed - "Lack of proper maintenance"

Quick Reply: Leading cause of death of the 944