Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

heat shield - turbo removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Un-bolt and move he rack. I can't remember if the alternator must come out, but you might as well if you're pulling the turbo - you'll need the space.

Once the rack is moved out a bit, you can use a long extension (12" or so) with a allen-head socket on it. Smack it a few times with the hammer to wake it up and seat the allen tip really well, then bust it loose. It'll pop free with a bit of force, just make sure that your allen socket is fresh on the tip first... no rounded corners.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got a break, bought a super long 6mm wobblehead allen socket which worked well(attached). wheeeewwww! Probably not the safest tool to use but it got in between xmember and rack straight on. Now after pulling the turbo out, it turns out the long bolt will not slide out of the motor mount housing unless you loosen the rack or remove the steering knuckle. Gonna have to do that, not reusing that old bolt.

Not too bad to be at halfway point after 5-6 hours, it helps to acquire tools. There is so much crap out there for tools, snap-on's are like gold, but so expensive unless you can get 'em cheap on ebay lots of good deals there.

Last edited by numbskull; 11-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels good to get that out, doesn't it!!

I forgot, I've also used a 3/8 u-joint on the extension to get it to line up. I don't trust wobble allen head tools in critical situations like that, but I'm glad that it worked out for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Un-bolt and move he rack. I can't remember if the alternator must come out, but you might as well if you're pulling the turbo - you'll need the space.

Once the rack is moved out a bit, you can use a long extension (12" or so) with a allen-head socket on it. Smack it a few times with the hammer to wake it up and seat the allen tip really well, then bust it loose. It'll pop free with a bit of force, just make sure that your allen socket is fresh on the tip first... no rounded corners.
LOL!! didn't see this post DOH!, I probably used the dumbest tool for this bolt, way risky but it worked. The long wobble allen socket is an anomaly with nothing but round corners and is not recommended to use on this car ! I think it can go in the trash now! LOL!!

Quick Reply: heat shield - turbo removal