Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

First Belt Job, need a few clarifications please :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is perhaps a more tactful way of saying what I was going to say: what makes you guys think you don't need a tensioning tool?

I also wouldn't recommend the Kriket
either, given that it just doesn't have the range sensitivity.

Arnnworx makes a great tool; that seems to have replaced the factory special tool in most 951 circles.

Great questions, btw.

Also, do you track your car? Might want to consider the S2 water pump. Larger impeller: flows more. Does require grinding off a small tab on the block though. You can do this with a dremel or die grinder.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I didn't see the small aux water pump thermostat (to cool the turbo) on your list, nor the coolant neck and o-ring needed to seal it up. The neck warps and is 50/50 to leak if you don't replace. The twist method for the belt isn't a good idea unless you are very familiar with the "feel" of properly tensioned bolts. I've done belts dozens of times on the 951, and always try to predict how much tension is on the belt before checking with the factory tensioner. After lots of practice, I am usually within a point on the guage, but that is frequently the difference between being within spec and out of spec. If this is your first time with no reference point, the chance of being close to spec just isn't that good. If you don't want to invest in the factory tension tool (or can't borrow one), there are a few unofficial tools availble much cheaper which will at least give you a fighting chance....

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=189

Or search for the Cricket tention tool...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951

I also wouldn't recommend the Kriket
either, given that it just doesn't have the range sensitivity.

Arnnworx makes a great tool; that seems to have replaced the factory special tool in most 951 circles.

I should clarify I didn't realize Arnnworx made a tool with a gauge on it...in my post I was talking about this one
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the comments so far guys!

So allzims is offering an S2 Rebuilt water pump for 105.00$ with a core refund possible.

An S2 Waterpump will fit no matter what? If it reall offers better cooling, why not go for it then lol.

And does anyone know if I wanted to stay with the original water pumps, could I convert an early version pump to the late version Pump?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snugglepush

An S2 Waterpump will fit no matter what? If it reall offers better cooling, why not go for it then lol.
See my previous post at the top of the page. It's not a direct swap; you need to grind off a small tab.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Turbo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comments from an '86 owner who has decent basic skills:
I bought the Zims WP. It comes with the WP gasket, which wasn't clear to me.
I didn't replace the sleeves on the balance shafts and one later leaked. It looked OK when I took it out the first time. I had to go in again.
I did replace the oil sleeve/gear on the crank the last time. It clearly had a ridge.
I use the twist belt method for tension. '86 has no auto-tension. I crosscheck with the WP method. There's a YouTube video that helped and I calibrate my fingers before pulling the old belts off. The engine is still running at 200K. The cricket tool was reported to be too inconsistent and the other tool too expensive.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a way to install a auto tensioner on a 86 951? My 87 924S had one and I never had a problem just using that alone.

Quick Reply: First Belt Job, need a few clarifications please :)